Vector Proof: x x v = u x v = x x u

In summary, the problem asks to prove the equation x x v = u x v = x x u, given the equation x + v = u. The attempt at a solution involves using the definition of the cross product and known properties to simplify the equation. The final solution involves substituting u into the equation and simplifying to show that x x v = u x v = x x u.
Jbreezy

Homework Statement

If x + v = u
Prove x x v = u x v = x x u

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know where to start with this. I thought that magnitude of the resultant vector would have to be equal. So I started messing with each to see if I could find a pattern.

x x v = | x|| v| sin θ

This is a crap approach I can't find anything. Please give me a hint not the answer. I just can't seem to draw the information in my text together to give myself enough to show this. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just use your definition of u in the equations, and simplify with known properties of the cross product.
It does not help to consider the magnitude of the vectors, as their "direction" has to fit, too.

Hi Jbreezy! :smile:

Are you allowed to use the associative rule, a x (b + c) = a x b + a x c ?

Or do you have to use coordinates?

I guess you are allowed to use whatever. I don't understand this problem at all.

ok, then what is x x (u - v) ? :wink:

0 vector? This is not anywhere in my eq. though. In terms of the original.

This was a good problem to make me feel like a monkey with a stick.

so, If x + v = u
Prove x x v = u x v = x x u

Sub in u.

x x v = (x + v ) x v = x x(x + v)

So when you distribute.

X x V = X x V + V x V = X x X + X x v

So, V x V = 0 , X x X = 0
So
X x V = X x V = X x V
Thanks

Hi Jbreezy! :smile:

(just got up :zzz:)

Yes, that's correct. :smile:

But it's a bit long-winded …

you could have done x x v = (x + v ) x v (because v x v = 0)

= u x v,​

or x x v - u x v = … (you finish it :wink:)

What is a vector proof?

A vector proof is a mathematical technique used to demonstrate the properties and relationships of vectors. It involves using mathematical equations and geometric principles to show that a certain statement or equation is true for all possible vectors.

What is a cross product?

A cross product is a mathematical operation between two vectors that results in a new vector perpendicular to both of the original vectors. It is often represented by the symbol "x" and is used to calculate the area of a parallelogram or the torque in physics.

How do you perform a cross product?

To perform a cross product, you need to have two vectors in three-dimensional space. The result will be a new vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors. To calculate the cross product, you can use the determinant or matrix method, or you can use the components of the two vectors to calculate it directly.

What are the properties of a cross product?

The cross product has several properties, including distributivity, anticommutativity, and associativity. It is also linear, which means it follows the rules of addition and scalar multiplication. Additionally, the length of the resulting vector is equal to the product of the lengths of the two original vectors multiplied by the sine of the angle between them.

What are some applications of cross products?

Cross products have various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They can be used to calculate the torque or angular momentum in physics, determine the area of a parallelogram or triangle in geometry, and find the direction of the magnetic field in electromagnetism. They are also used in computer graphics and 3D modeling to create realistic lighting and shading effects.