1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Rhombus Proof

1. Dec 3, 2006 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that the diagonals of a paraelogram are perpendicular iff the parallelogram is a rhombus.

2. Relevant equations

a (dot) b = 0

3. The attempt at a solution
    This is how I started:

By definition, a rhombus is a quadrilateral with all sides equal in length. So this means that if I have two vectors, a and b that form the corner of a rhombus, then that means that the magintude of a and b are equal. By inspection of a diagram of this vector problem, I found that (a+b) (dot) (a-b) = 0 iff the magintude of a and b are equal.

This is great, however, it will not fly because I cannot just say "by inspection of the diagram" right. How can I put this in words that will make my proof make sense?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2006 #2
    The diagonals of the parallelogram are precisely a+b and a-b. if you are talking about proving your equation above, multiply it out, keeping in mind:

[tex] (a+b)\cdot (a-b) = a\cdot a - b\cdot b + b\cdot a - a\cdot b[/tex]

edit: fixed my mistake

Last edited: Dec 3, 2006
  4. Dec 3, 2006 #3
    AWESOME!! Thank you so much for you help. That was a lot easier than I thought. So, after multiplying it out, I came up with a²-b²=0. So this is true iff a² = b². Thanks for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?