Vector Scalar Product and KE questions

In summary, the conversation is about a student who missed a class on scalar multiplication and finding angles of vectors. They are looking for assistance with sets 38-39, 40-41, and the last set. The student was able to find the answer for the first question in the last set but is unsure about the second question. They also mention using a formula involving cos(theta) and the dot product to find the angle. Another person in the conversation confirms that they have solved the problems.
Walczyk
Just a few questions from this set I have to do, I missed the class on these topics so I'm just a little confused with these last few problems.

http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/2307/problem43eu.png

Concerning sets 38-39, and 40-41, I've grasped how to scalar multiply these vectors, but not how to find the angle it seems, wondering if anybody can check those out. as for the last set, i was able to find the first answer with k=.5*m*v^2, but I'm not sure what the second question is asking. I missed the class on these topics (accelerated physics in the summer, awfully bad to miss a class). thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe the formula you need to use is something like:

cos(theta) = (a * b)/(|a||b|)

Where * is the dot product of a and b.

aye, i wroked those angles out, inverse cosine.
edit: I've figured out all the problems, thanks for the help everyone.

Last edited:

1. What is a vector scalar product?

A vector scalar product, also known as a dot product, is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and gives a scalar quantity as the result. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitudes of the two vectors and the cosine of the angle between them.

2. How is a vector scalar product useful in physics?

The vector scalar product is useful in physics as it helps us calculate the work done by a force on an object. It is also used in determining the direction of torque and finding the angle between two vectors.

3. Can the vector scalar product be negative?

Yes, the result of a vector scalar product can be negative. This happens when the angle between the two vectors is greater than 90 degrees, causing the cosine term to be negative.

4. What is the difference between a vector scalar product and a vector cross product?

The vector scalar product gives a scalar quantity as the result, while the vector cross product gives a vector quantity. Additionally, the vector scalar product is commutative, whereas the vector cross product is not.

5. How is the vector scalar product related to kinetic energy?

The vector scalar product is related to kinetic energy through the work-energy theorem, which states that the work done on an object is equal to its change in kinetic energy. The vector scalar product is used to calculate the work done by a force, which can then be used to determine the change in kinetic energy of an object.