Vector-Valued Function for x+y+z=6: Homework Solution

In summary, a vector valued function is a mathematical function that takes in one or more inputs and returns a vector as its output. It differs from a regular function in that it returns a vector instead of a single value. The domain of a vector valued function is the set of all possible input values, and the range is the set of all possible output vectors. To graph a vector valued function, plot the individual components on a coordinate plane. A vector valued function can be differentiated component-wise, resulting in a vector of derivatives.
aaronfue

Homework Statement

I would appreciate it if someone could verify my answer.

Find a vector-valued function that represents the plane x+y+z=6.

2. The attempt at a solution

r(u,v) = ui + vj + (6-u-v)k

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
aaronfue said:

Homework Statement

I would appreciate it if someone could verify my answer.

Find a vector-valued function that represents the plane x+y+z=6.

2. The attempt at a solution

r(u,v) = ui + vj + (6-u-v)k

Thanks!

That should do it. u+v+(6-u-v)=6.

Dick said:
That should do it. u+v+(6-u-v)=6.

Sweet! Thanks!

1. What is a vector valued function?

A vector valued function is a mathematical function that takes in one or more inputs and returns a vector as its output. The components of the vector can be either real numbers or complex numbers.

2. How is a vector valued function different from a regular function?

A regular function takes in one or more inputs and returns a single value as its output. A vector valued function, on the other hand, returns a vector as its output, which can have multiple components.

3. What is the domain and range of a vector valued function?

The domain of a vector valued function is the set of all possible input values for which the function is defined. The range is the set of all possible output vectors that can be obtained from the function.

4. How do you graph a vector valued function?

A vector valued function can be graphed by plotting the individual components of the vector as separate functions on a coordinate plane. Each component will have its own graph, and the combination of all the graphs will form the graph of the vector valued function.

5. Can a vector valued function be differentiated?

Yes, a vector valued function can be differentiated component-wise, meaning that each component of the vector can be differentiated separately. The result will be a vector of derivatives, also known as the gradient vector.