Vectors and determining plate thickness

In summary, the conversation discusses designing and load testing lifting lugs for a concrete tunnel. The AS4991 requires load testing to double the W.L.L, which in this case is 3 tonne. The person suggests using a 5 tonne RUD lug, but a plate is needed for mounting. The plate is designed to withstand 111kN based on calculations and the angle of the lug is 75.9 degrees. However, there are concerns about the large thickness and whether the process is correct. The other person advises starting over and following a more systematic approach, including considering the geometry, weight and center of gravity of the load.
harvez_007
Hi,

I have two 1.5 lifting lugs supported in the roof of a concrete tunnel 3.5m apart at a height of 7m.

The lugs require load testing and as per AS4991 require load testing to double the W.L.L therefore 3 tonne.

My work has a 5 tonne RUD lug readily available therefore was thinking of using that, however the plate to mount the lug on is required.

I have designed the plate for the 5 tonne - 5 x 1.5 (strength) x 1.5 (dynamic) x 9.81 = 111kN

The angle the 5 tonne lug will be at is 75.9 degrees.

Therefore the load in the direction of pull will be 111kN / cos75.9 = 455kN ? I am not sure if this is correct.

M* = N* x l (I have assumed a plate 400mm x 400mm - therefore lever arm = 0.2m)
= 455kN x 0.2
= 91kN.m

øMs = øfy x [b(t^2)]/4

Let M* = øMs

t > √[(4xM*x10^6)/(øxfyxb)]

∴t > 82mm

Due to the large thickness I am getting I am not sure if the process I am using is correct. I do understand I am only load testing to 3 tonne however designing for 5 tonne - is this OK? I am happy to increase the size of the plate however could someone please ensure I am using the correct method for calculating this.

Any help is appreciated in advance.

Regards,
Harvez

Attachments

• Lift calc sheet.pdf
    20.3 KB · Views: 229
Physics news on Phys.org
Designing lifting lugs is a little more complicated than scribbling a few formulas down on a piece of paper and plugging numbers into them.

The geometry of the lug must match the design of the shackles being used, in order to put the shackle pins in bearing stress only and not bending stress. You also have no overall sketch showing the load to be lifted, its weight and center of gravity, the location of the lugs, a calculation showing the expected forces in the shackles, etc.

My advice: Start over and proceed in a more systematic fashion.

1. What are vectors and how are they used in determining plate thickness?

Vectors are mathematical tools that represent both magnitude (size) and direction. In the context of determining plate thickness, vectors are used to represent the forces acting on a plate, such as tension or compression. By analyzing these vectors, scientists can determine the necessary thickness of a plate to withstand these forces.

2. How do scientists measure vectors?

Vectors can be measured using various instruments such as force sensors, strain gauges, and accelerometers. These instruments can detect and measure the magnitude and direction of forces acting on a plate.

3. How do changes in plate thickness affect vector analysis?

Changes in plate thickness can significantly impact vector analysis. Thicker plates can withstand greater forces, while thinner plates may buckle or deform under the same forces. Therefore, it is crucial to consider plate thickness when analyzing vectors.

4. What is the importance of accurately determining plate thickness?

Determining the correct plate thickness is crucial in ensuring the structural integrity and safety of a plate. If the plate is too thin, it may fail under normal operating conditions, leading to potential accidents or disasters. On the other hand, if the plate is too thick, it can be costly and wasteful. Therefore, accurately determining plate thickness is essential.

5. Can vectors be used to determine the thickness of any type of plate?

Yes, vectors can be used to determine the thickness of any type of plate, including metal, plastic, or composite plates. The same principles of vector analysis apply to all types of plates, regardless of their material.