Find perpendicular vector and plane through given point

In summary, you need to find the vector perpendicular to the line and through the point (2,1,2) in order to find the equation of the plane.
theown1

Homework Statement

Consider the line and plane below.
x = 5-5t, y = 3+7t, z = 10t
ax + by + cz = d

Find values of a, b, c, and d so that the plane is perpendicular to the line and through the point (2, 1, 2).

Homework Equations

Fgrad=(x',y',z') is perp to surface
if [tex]\vec{v}[/tex]1[tex]\bullet[/tex][tex]\vec{v}[/tex]2=0
then v1[tex]\bot[/tex]v2

The Attempt at a Solution

when I put those x,y,z values together I get a parametric equation that equals <5,3,0>+t<-5,7,10>

the starting point <5,3,0> I think is not relevant to finding a perpendicular vector,
I just need to find a vector perpendicular to t<-5,7,10> that goes through (2,1,2) i think? but I'm not sure how to do this..
then once I find the vector that's perp to t<-5,7,10>(dot)<a,b,c>=0
once I know a,b,c I can solve for d

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the equation of the line:
(x,y,z) = (5,3,0) + t(-5,7,10)
Which is really just translated from:
(x,y,z) = t(-5,7,10)
Which is what you have so far.
So by definition the plane is defined by all vectors perpendicular to (-5,7,10)
Which is just 7y + 10z - 5x = 0
Translated plane:
v dot (x-x0) = 0
You complete.

theown1 said:

Homework Statement

Consider the line and plane below.
x = 5-5t, y = 3+7t, z = 10t
ax + by + cz = d

Find values of a, b, c, and d so that the plane is perpendicular to the line and through the point (2, 1, 2).

Homework Equations

Fgrad=(x',y',z') is perp to surface
if [tex]\vec{v}[/tex]1[tex]\bullet[/tex][tex]\vec{v}[/tex]2=0
then v1[tex]\bot[/tex]v2

The Attempt at a Solution

when I put those x,y,z values together I get a parametric equation that equals <5,3,0>+t<-5,7,10>

the starting point <5,3,0> I think is not relevant to finding a perpendicular vector,
I just need to find a vector perpendicular to t<-5,7,10> that goes through (2,1,2) i think?
No, you don't. You want to find a vector perpendicular to the plane in order to write the equation of the plane. Since the line itself is perpendicular to the plane, its "direction vector", <-5, 7, 10>, is perpendicular to the plane.
So you know the plane can be written as [itex]-5(x-x_0)+ 7(y-y_0)+ 10(z-z)= 0[itex], where [itex](x_0, y_0, z_0)[/itex] is some point in the plane. Any you are also given that.

but I'm not sure how to do this..
then once I find the vector that's perp to t<-5,7,10>(dot)<a,b,c>=0
once I know a,b,c I can solve for d

Ok, ok I understand now

since the line is already perp. to the plane, the direction of the line corresponds to the gradient of the plane which is <a,b,c> and then i just use the equation of a plane to solve
d=a(x-xo)+b(y-yo)+c(z-zo)

thanks

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It can be represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the vector, with the length of the arrow representing its magnitude.

2. How are vectors used in parametric curves?

Vectors are used to define the direction and magnitude of the curve at each point along its path. Parametric curves are defined by a set of equations, with each equation representing a specific aspect of the curve, such as its x and y coordinates. Vectors are used to combine these equations to create a smooth and continuous curve.

3. What is a parametric curve?

A parametric curve is a type of curve that is defined by a set of parametric equations. These equations represent the x and y coordinates of the curve at different points along its path. Parametric curves are often used to describe complex and irregular shapes, such as spirals or ellipses.

4. How are vectors and parametric curves related to calculus?

Vectors and parametric curves are often used in calculus to study the behavior of functions. Vectors can be used to represent the slope of a curve at a specific point, and parametric curves can be differentiated and integrated to analyze the rate of change and area under the curve.

5. What are some real-world applications of vectors and parametric curves?

Vectors and parametric curves have a wide range of applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They are used to model the motion of objects, design and analyze structures, and create computer-generated images and animations.