Vectors & Gradients: Confused? Get Answers Now!

• B
  • Thread starter Hayden Herzberger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, the conversation was about a video explaining Einstein's field equations for beginners. The speaker was confused about the use of vectors in the equations and questioned the presenter's explanation. They also expressed frustration with the attitude towards beginners in the forum.
Hayden Herzberger
I was watching a video explaining Einsteins field equations for beginners and he was giving some information on Vectors before he gets into the actual equations. He got to this equation:

I'm real confused, how does he know that dx and dø are both? Why does dø change to dy? What does the equation even mean? Please help I can't continue the video because I'm real confused on his part.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    19.9 KB · Views: 455
Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Perhaps for beginners doesn't mean for people who have not yet studied calculus?

Hayden Herzberger said:
I was watching a video explaining Einsteins field equations for beginners and he was giving some information on Vectors before he gets into the actual equations. He got to this equation:

I'm real confused, how did he figure that dx and dø are both vectors but the other things are not?
DrSteve said:
Perhaps for beginners doesn't mean for people who have not yet studied calculus?

Well that was rather snotty. I figured it out and it was just him not explaining it properly. A forum like this should be welcoming to beginners and not picking fun at their ignorance. If you're not helping then don't reply.

Last edited:
Likes Tim Bell

Related to Vectors & Gradients: Confused? Get Answers Now!

1. What are vectors and gradients?

Vectors and gradients are mathematical concepts used in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. Vectors represent both magnitude and direction, while gradients represent the rate of change of a function in a particular direction. In simpler terms, vectors are arrows that show direction and magnitude, while gradients show how a value changes in different directions.

2. How are vectors and gradients related?

Vectors and gradients are closely related because gradients are essentially the rate of change of a vector. This means that gradients provide information about how a vector changes in different directions. In fact, the gradient of a vector function is a vector itself.

3. What are some real-world applications of vectors and gradients?

Vectors and gradients have a wide range of applications in the real world. In physics, they are used to represent forces and motion, in engineering they are used for optimization problems, and in computer science they are used for graphics and machine learning algorithms. Some specific examples include determining the path of a projectile, optimizing the shape of a building for structural stability, and training neural networks.

4. How do you calculate vectors and gradients?

The calculation of vectors and gradients depends on the specific application and the mathematical tools available. In general, vectors can be calculated using basic trigonometry and algebra, while gradients can be calculated using differential calculus. There are also various software programs and online calculators available to assist with these calculations.

5. What are some tips for understanding vectors and gradients?

Understanding vectors and gradients can be challenging, but here are a few tips that may help: 1) Visualize them as arrows and lines to help understand their direction and magnitude, 2) Practice solving problems and working with different types of vector and gradient operations, 3) Understand the underlying mathematical concepts, such as trigonometry and calculus, and 4) Seek out additional resources, such as textbooks, tutorials, and online resources, for further explanation and practice.