Vector Paths and Initial Positions: Boat Collision Question Solved"

In summary, the two boats have position vectors at noon of \mathbf{r}_1=(7-4t)\mathbf{i}+(-5+t)\mathbf{j} and \mathbf{r}_2=(12-3t)\mathbf{i}+(13-t)\mathbf{j}. The first boat's initial position is (7, -5) and the second boat's relative initial position is (5, 13). The velocity vector of the second boat is \mathbf{v}_2=(-3)\mathbf{i}+(-1)\mathbf{j}. The boats do not collide at any point as their position vectors do not have the same values for t.
danago
Gold Member
Hey. Heres the question:

Two boats are moving along straight paths and their position vectors at noon are:

[tex]\mathbf{r}_1=(7-4t)\mathbf{i}+(-5+t)\mathbf{j}[/tex]
[tex]\mathbf{r}_1=(12-3t)\mathbf{i}+(13-t)\mathbf{j}[/tex]

a) where was the first boat initially?

b) Where was the second boat relative to the first boat initially?

c) What is the velocity vector, [tex]\mathbf{v}_2[/tex], of the second boat?

d) find weather or not the boats will colide.

For the first question, i assumed its initial position would be 0 hours after noon. So i just answered it as:

[tex]7\mathbf{i}-5\mathbf{j}[/tex]

Now i wouldn't have a clue if that's even close to being correct, but its the only decent answer i could come up with.

For the next part, i drew the diagram, and just found a vector going from the position of the first boat to the second, from the initial positions, which gave me the final vector:

[tex]4\mathbf{i}+18\mathbf{j}[/tex]

For part c, the velocity of the second boat, i just wrote how much the position vector increases for every incriment of t. I came up with:

[tex]-3\mathbf{i}-\mathbf{j}[/tex]

The problem with this was that the question said they were traveling in a straight line, and if i apply this velocity, then they change their direction. So I am lost.

And with the final question, I am stuck, because i can't really do it until i answer the previous ones correctly.

So if anyone doesn't mind, please put me on the right track for these questions, because i highly boubt I've answered them correctly.

Thanks,
Dan.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're first and third answers are right. The second should be 5i + 13j
The problem with this was that the question said they were traveling in a straight line, and if i apply this velocity, then they change their direction. So I am lost.
I don't see a problem there. It's a constant vector.

And for the last part, what's the relation between the position vectors of the boats when they collide?

neutrino said:
You're first and third answers are right. The second should be 5i + 13j

I don't see a problem there. It's a constant vector.

And for the last part, what's the relation between the position vectors of the boats when they collide?

could you explain how you got 5i + 13j please? I re did it, and ended with the i component being 5, but i don't understand how you got 13 for the j component.

And ill try the final question now.

danago said:
could you explain how you got 5i + 13j please? I re did it, and ended with the i component being 5, but i don't understand how you got 13 for the j component.

And ill try the final question now.
Sorry, that was a typo. :redface:

so its 5i + 18j then?

Anyway, I am doing the final question now. So to find when they collide, i need to find then their position vectors are the same, at the same value for t.

So do i just equate the components for each vector?:
i 7-4t
j -5+t

i 12-3t
j 13-t

So then i need to find when the i and j components of both ships are the same. I got that when the i component of both boats is 27, the j component will be 4, so they will collide at:

[tex]27\mathbf{i}+5\mathbf{j}[/tex]

Im not sure if that's right :S

I found that the boats do not collide.

-Hoot

You can check if your answer is correct (whether they collide at your defined point), choose a vector equation and sub your values in for i and j such as this;

[tex]r_{1} = (7-4t)j + (t-5)j[/tex]

Subbing [itex]27i + 5j[/itex] into each component;

[tex]7 - 4t = 27[/tex]

[tex]t - 5 = 5[/tex]

Now, do they both return the same value of t?

-Hoot

yea i thought about it again, and no, they don't give the same values of t. Thanks for the help everyone :)

1. What are vectors in science?

Vectors are physical quantities that have both magnitude and direction. They are commonly represented by arrows, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction.

2. What is the difference between vectors and scalars?

Vectors have both magnitude and direction, while scalars only have magnitude. For example, velocity is a vector quantity as it has both speed (magnitude) and direction, whereas speed is a scalar quantity as it only has magnitude.

3. How are vectors used in physics?

Vectors are used in physics to represent and analyze various physical quantities such as displacement, velocity, acceleration, and force. They allow us to understand and predict the motion of objects in different situations.

4. How do you add or subtract vectors?

In order to add or subtract vectors, you must first make sure they are in the same direction. Then, you can use the head-to-tail method, where the head of one vector is connected to the tail of the other vector. The resulting vector is the sum or difference of the two original vectors.

5. What are some real-life examples of vectors?

Some common examples of vectors in everyday life include the force of wind on a sailboat, a person walking in a specific direction, and the displacement of an airplane in flight. Vectors are also used in navigation, such as using a map and compass to determine direction and distance.