Vectors not rendering properly

• Thread starter Orodruin
  • Start date
In summary, there was an issue with the spacing of vector arrows when using the TeX command \vec, which affected different browsers and devices. After being brought to the attention of the MathJax team, it was fixed in the upcoming MathJax v2.7 release. The fix can be tested on the beta version of MathJax and is now available for use.
Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I have noticed for quite some time that vector arrows specified using the TeX command \vec result in a much larger white space after the symbol than it should, eg, ##\vec v_i \cdot \vec w##. It is a bit bad for readability and looks quite ugly. Can this be fixed?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks fine to me. Here's a screen grab of what you wrote:

vectors.jpg

(Mac OS 10.11.6, Firefox 49.0)

DrClaude said:
Looks fine to me. Here's a screen grab of what you wrote:

View attachment 106865

(Mac OS 10.11.6, Firefox 49.0)
So it is browser based. I get this
vectorerror.png
in Safari, both on my Mac OS 10.11.6 (Safari 9.1.2) and on IOS 10.0.2.

Edit: Looks fine in Chrome 53.0.2785.116.

Edit II: Of course, I can solve this by using Chrome on PF, but I do not think may people will use something different from Safari to browse PF on their iPhones ...

Last edited:
Orodruin said:
So it is browser based.
Indeed. I get the same problem as you do in Safari.

I can confirm this as well. Renders fine in Firefox (two different computers), but with the same spacing problem in Safari/602.1 (mobile).

Greg Bernhardt said:
They need a Safari and OSX version
Orodruin said:
both on my Mac OS 10.11.6 (Safari 9.1.2) and on IOS 10.0.2
By Mac OS 10.11.6 I mean OSX 10.11.6. I don't know how to get the Safari version on the iOS, but I suspect it is updated along with iOS.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Apparently Mobile Safari 10.

I'm on my iPad now, and I see that I get the same problem in Firefox 5.3 (iOS 10.0.2). Note the bug is not present in Firefox on Mac OS X 10 (as mentioned above).

Hi,

This issue should be fixed in the upcoming MathJax v2.7 release (we're just wrapping up the public beta run).

You can try it out by pasting your TeX source on e.g., http://beta.mathjax.org/mathjax/latest/test/sample-dynamic-2.html.

Regards,
Peter from the MathJax team.

Likes Greg Bernhardt, Ibix, mfb and 1 other person
Looks good there. Thanks for the quick feedback.

Thanks for taking the time to take a look, @mfb!

MathJax 2.7 is out. Might take a day to refresh the cache.

Related to Vectors not rendering properly

1. Why are my vectors not rendering properly?

There could be several reasons for this issue. One common reason is that the vector file may be corrupted or contain errors. Another possibility is that the software or program you are using to open the vector file may not support the file format. Other factors such as outdated graphics drivers or low system resources could also affect the rendering of vectors.

2. How can I fix vector rendering issues?

The first step is to check the file itself and make sure it is not corrupted. If the file is fine, try updating your graphics drivers to the latest version. You can also try using a different software or program to open the file. If none of these solutions work, it could be a hardware issue and you may need to upgrade your computer's specifications.

3. Can the size of the vector file affect its rendering?

Yes, the size of the file can definitely affect its rendering. Large vector files may require more processing power and memory to render properly. If your computer does not have enough resources, it may struggle to render the file accurately and may result in distorted or incomplete vectors.

4. Are there any specific settings I should check for vector rendering?

Yes, there are a few settings that you can check to ensure proper vector rendering. First, make sure that you have enabled anti-aliasing, which helps smooth out jagged edges and improve the overall quality of the vectors. You should also check the color mode and make sure it is set to RGB for digital use or CMYK for print. Lastly, check for any hidden layers or objects that may be affecting the rendering.

5. Can outdated software cause vector rendering issues?

Yes, using outdated software to open vector files can cause rendering issues. Newer vector file formats may not be supported by older software versions, resulting in errors or incorrect rendering. It is important to regularly update your software to ensure compatibility with the latest file formats and to avoid any rendering issues.