Vehicle turning radius and path projection

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of calculating the projected future movement path of a car in a game, based on the steering angle of the wheels. The formula for calculating the turning radius is given, but finding the center of the circle where the vehicle will turn proves to be a problem. The speaker suggests using the current direction vector and offsetting it by the radius to approximate the center of the circle, but this method is not accurate. The conversation then considers using the after-turn direction vector to offset the center, which may provide a more accurate result.
shipiz
Hi everyone, i hope this is the right place to post this.

Anyway, I'm creating a game, and I'm trying to calculate and project future car movement path based on steering angle of the wheels. By using equation:

r = wheelbase / sin(steeringAngle)

I'm able to calculate turning radius. But the problem is finding the center of the circle where vehicle will turn.
I can calculate approximate circle center by getting current direction vector and offset by radius. But it still misses by some part. Also note that vehicle is not moving when calculations are executed. Disregard all basic physics laws for this. :)

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When you say:
shipiz said:
I can calculate approximate circle center by getting current direction vector and offset by radius.
What do you mean by current direction vector? Is this before or after the change of steering angle?
In general, if you are measuring your steering angle +/- theta degrees from 0, assuming an initial direction of +x, vehicle located at the origin, and the effect of this steering is to induce a circular path with radius r, then you should be able to center your circle at y = +/- r.
The important thing to note is that a line drawn from the center to the car should be perpendicular to the line drawn at theta = 0.

I have a direction where vehicle is facing and current vehicle position. Everything is in 3D just to note.
Vehicle is static while wheels are turning between max steering angle (+/- theta) where theta=0 is forward direction.

So here is what i basically do:

find a turning radius as described in formula above
because i know where vehicle is facing, i can get right/left direction vector and multiply it by radius and add to current vehicle position to get center of circle

But the thing is that when i accelerate from stationary position it seems that circle is a bit off in Z position ( Y-up coordinate system).

Here is a picture that illustrates, white is projected circle, and red is real vehicle movement circle

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-02-12 at 8.55.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-02-12 at 8.55.51 PM.png
    103.8 KB · Views: 873
After some consideration, and looking at your picture seems to encourage my thinking, you might want to offset the center of the circle from the after-turn direction vector.
This makes sense if you think that as soon as the wheel is turned, it's direction will be in the right/left theta direction.
What do you think?

RUber said:
After some consideration, and looking at your picture seems to encourage my thinking, you might want to offset the center of the circle from the after-turn direction vector.
This makes sense if you think that as soon as the wheel is turned, it's direction will be in the right/left theta direction.
What do you think?

If i understand you correctly, instead of using vehicle right/left direction, i should use wheel after-turn(by theta) left/right direction to calculate center offset ?

That's what I am thinking.

1. What is the definition of vehicle turning radius?

The vehicle turning radius refers to the distance from the center of a vehicle to the outermost edge of its turning circle. It is a measurement of how much space a vehicle requires to complete a turn.

2. How is the turning radius of a vehicle calculated?

The turning radius of a vehicle is calculated by measuring the distance between the outermost edges of the front and rear wheels on the same side of the vehicle, when the wheels are turned at their maximum angle.

3. What factors can affect the turning radius of a vehicle?

The turning radius of a vehicle can be affected by several factors including the size and type of the vehicle, the length of the wheelbase, the angle of the wheels, and the terrain or surface on which the vehicle is turning.

4. How does the turning radius of a vehicle impact its maneuverability?

The turning radius of a vehicle can greatly impact its maneuverability, as a smaller turning radius allows for tighter turns and easier navigation in tight spaces. This is especially important for larger vehicles such as trucks or buses that may have limited space to maneuver.

5. Can the turning radius of a vehicle be changed or improved?

Yes, the turning radius of a vehicle can be changed or improved through various modifications such as altering the angle of the wheels, adjusting the suspension, or changing the size or type of the tires. However, these modifications may also affect other aspects of the vehicle's performance and should be done carefully and with the assistance of a professional.