Velocity and acceleration of an airplane

In summary, we are given the distance and initial velocity of an airplane landing on a carrier deck and being brought to a stop by an arresting device. To find the acceleration, we can use the kinematic equation v^2 = u^2 + 2as, where v is the final velocity (0 m/s), u is the initial velocity (150 mph or 67.1 m/s), and s is the distance (500 feet or 152.4 m). This gives us an acceleration of -0.221 m/s^2. To find the time required to stop, we can use the formula t = (v-u)/a, using the average velocity (75 mph or 33.5 m/s), giving us a
aldeemativo

Homework Statement

VELOCITY AND ACCELERATION:
An airplane lands in a carrier deck at 150 miles per hour and is brought to a stop by an arresting device in 500 feet.

Homework Equations

What is the acceleration?
What is the time required to stop?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums.

You seemed to have missed a section: :wink:
aldeemativo said:

The Attempt at a Solution

hootenanny said:
welcome to physics forums.

You seemed to have missed a section: :wink:

what do you mean?

aldeemativo said:
what do you mean?
You haven't showed us your attempt at the solution.

Hootenanny said:
You haven't showed us your attempt at the solution.

BUT I've got no idea how..., i don't know because the given variables are only two which are: the distance, velocity but in physics formula for the computation of this problem requires three or more than variables given.. could you teach me?

aldeemativo said:
BUT I've got no idea how..., i don't know because the given variables are only two which are: the distance, velocity but in physics formula for the computation of this problem requires three or more than variables given.. could you teach me?
You actually know three variables:
  1. Distance
  2. Initial Velocity
  3. Final Velocity

Hootenanny said:
You actually know three variables:
  1. Distance
  2. Initial Velocity
  3. Final Velocity

could you tell me what is the initial and final velocity... if i will be able to know that, then i think i could do it... thank you so much...

aldeemativo said:
could you tell me what is the initial and final velocity... if i will be able to know that, then i think i could do it... thank you so much...
I'm sure that you could work that out for yourself. You are given the initial speed and you are told that the aircraft comes to rest. What is the aircraft's speed when it isn't moving?

Hootenanny said:
I'm sure that you could work that out for yourself. You are given the initial speed and you are told that the aircraft comes to rest. What is the aircraft's speed when it isn't moving?

zero?

aldeemativo said:
zero?
Exactly :smile:

Hootenanny said:
Exactly :smile:

oh... so half of 150 gives if velocity = (Final velocity + Initial velocity) / 2, then, it will give me a 75 average velocity right?

aldeemativo said:
oh... so half of 150 gives if velocity = (Final velocity + Initial velocity) / 2, then, it will give me a 75 average velocity right?
Why are you computing the average velocity?

aldeemativo said:

THANx Hootenanny... :) i know this is just a simple problem yet i don't know how to solve it... thanks a lot... more powers!

aldeemativo said:
THANx Hootenanny... :) i know this is just a simple problem yet i don't know how to solve it... thanks a lot... more powers!
You should be able to use kinematic (SUVAT) equations to solve this.

Hootenanny said:
Why are you computing the average velocity?

To find the time needed to come to a stop with: avg velocity = distance/time

willem2 said:
To find the time needed to come to a stop with: avg velocity = distance/time

yet there's no time indicated from the given problem making me think about the velocity to get the time... can you help me with this?? thanks a lot...

v0 = 150 mph = 67.1 m/s
v1 = 0 m/s
[tex]\Delta[/tex]x = 500 ft = 152.4m

use v12 = v02 + 2a[tex]\Delta[/tex]x

I think you can solve it from there?

aldeemativo said:
yet there's no time indicated from the given problem making me think about the velocity to get the time... can you help me with this?? thanks a lot...

You are on the right track. Use the average velocity to get the time required to stop.

There is also a kinematic formula that can give you the answer directly.

paisiello said:
You are on the right track. Use the average velocity to get the time required to stop.

There is also a kinematic formula that can give you the answer directly.

i'll try... thank u so much.. :)

1. What is the difference between velocity and acceleration of an airplane?

Velocity refers to the speed and direction at which an airplane is moving, while acceleration refers to the rate of change of velocity. In simpler terms, velocity tells us how fast an airplane is going and in what direction, while acceleration tells us how quickly the velocity is changing.

2. How is velocity and acceleration measured in an airplane?

Velocity is typically measured using a device called an airspeed indicator, which calculates the speed of the airplane in relation to the surrounding air. Acceleration, on the other hand, can be measured using either an accelerometer or a vertical speed indicator, which measures the rate of change of altitude.

3. What are the factors that affect the velocity and acceleration of an airplane?

The velocity and acceleration of an airplane can be affected by several factors, including the power of the engines, the weight of the airplane, air density, and wind speed and direction. These factors can either increase or decrease the speed and acceleration of the airplane.

4. How does an airplane accelerate during takeoff?

During takeoff, an airplane accelerates by increasing the thrust of its engines and moving along the runway. As the speed increases, the lift generated by the wings also increases, allowing the airplane to take off and gain altitude.

5. Can an airplane have negative velocity or acceleration?

Yes, an airplane can have negative velocity or acceleration. Negative velocity refers to the airplane moving in the opposite direction of its initial motion, while negative acceleration refers to the airplane slowing down. This can happen during landing or when the airplane is changing its direction in flight.