How Far Does the Bird Travel Between Two Trains?

• Thread starter ViewtifulBeau
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, the two trains have a speed of 44.3 km/h and are headed towards each other on the same straight track. A bird flying at 177.2 km/h flies from the front of one train when they are 132.9 km apart and heads directly towards the other train. This process is repeated as the bird flies back and forth between the two trains. To find the total distance the bird travels, you can use the formula d = rt and calculate the time it takes for the two trains to collide. However, in this case, it seems that the bird's speed is irrelevant and there is no need to use the Pythagorean theorem.
ViewtifulBeau
2 trains have the speed 44.3 km/h, are headed each other on the same straight track. A bird that flies 177.2 km/h flies from the front of one train when they are 132.9 km apart and heads directly other train. On reaching the other train it flies directly back to the first train, and so forth.

what is the total distance the bird travels?

So i figure that I have to use pythagorian theorem. One of the legs is 132.9km but I don't know how to find the other leg. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are no triangles involved here, so Pythagoras isn't necessary.

There's a hard way and an easy way to do this problem. I'll let you think about it some more.

Crap, ok i disreguarded the "same" straight track. Ok so the are going head to head! But is there an equation to find the time when two objects are approaching each other? I don't know many equations, we haven't gone over any in class.

ok i thought i figured it out at 170.1km, but it says that is wrong. What did i do wrong?

First we want to find the time the two trains will collide. So [tex] \frac{132.9 km}{44.3 \frac{km}{h}+ 44.3\frac{km}{h}} = \frac{3}{2} [/itex] hours. So multiply the eagles speed by this. Remember distance divided by velocity gives you time according to [tex] d = rt [/tex]

Last edited:
I'm curious as to what kind of bird this is that flies at 177.2 km/h.

hk

1. What is velocity?

Velocity is a measure of an object's speed and direction of motion. It is a vector quantity, which means it has both magnitude (speed) and direction (in which it is moving).

2. How is velocity calculated?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the change in distance by the change in time. This can be represented by the equation v = Δd/Δt, where v is velocity, Δd is change in distance, and Δt is change in time.

3. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a scalar quantity that only measures how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a vector quantity that includes both speed and direction of motion. Therefore, two objects can have the same speed but different velocities if they are moving in different directions.

4. How does velocity affect distance traveled?

Velocity directly affects the distance traveled by an object. The greater the velocity, the greater the distance traveled in a given amount of time. This can be seen in the equation v = d/t, where v is velocity, d is distance, and t is time.

5. Can an object's velocity change while its speed remains constant?

Yes, an object's velocity can change even if its speed remains constant. This can happen if the object changes direction while maintaining the same speed. For example, a car driving in a circular path at a constant speed will have a constantly changing velocity due to its changing direction of motion.