Velocity distribution of atoms

In summary: I did, and I think I understand what you are asking. I would suggest trying to find the statistical mean of the speeds of atoms crossing the plane into your rectangle. Just remember that all directions are equally probable. Thanks for the help so far.
Niles
Hi

Say I have a container (e.g. an oven) with some atoms in it. It the container, there is an opening, from which the atoms go into a rectangular container and then continue to the rest of the experiment. The beginning of my setup is shown in the attached sketch.

My problem is that I wish to find the transverse and longitudinal velocity distribution of the atoms leaving the oven. I am pretty sure that the longitudinal velocity is given by a Maxwell distribution, which in turn deoends on the oven temperature.

However, how is the transverse velocity distribution given for such a system?

Niles.

Attachments

• untitled.GIF
    untitled.GIF
    1.2 KB · Views: 453
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh ok, what you need to do is find the statistical mean of the speeds of atoms crossing the plane into your rectangle. Just remember that all directions are equally probable.

Hi

Thanks for replying. I am not quite sure I understand what to do: First I assume that the atomic source can be modeled as a point source on the axis of the rectangle. That seems reasonable.

Can I get a hint to what I should do from here?Niles.

My first step would be: for first reservoir (sphere) use Maxwell – Boltzman distribution for velocity in spherical system, and then you say that only these particles who have certain condition (angle theta, angle phi) will go into a rectangular container.

I don’t know, it could help.

The transverse one is actually the easy one (assuming transverse means parallel to the contact plane). That will simply be a normal thermal distribution (in one dimension) based on the oven's temperature. The longitudinal (perpendicular to the contact plane) is the difficult one, as it has to take into account that even though the distribution of velocities inside the oven is thermal, the distribution exiting the oven is affected by the fact that the probability of a given molecule crossing the plane is not independent of its velocity.

Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of time at the moment, but this is a problem I have solved before, and I'll try to get back to this later today.

Thanks for all the help so far to all of you.

cjl said:
The transverse one is actually the easy one (assuming transverse means parallel to the contact plane). That will simply be a normal thermal distribution (in one dimension) based on the oven's temperature. The longitudinal (perpendicular to the contact plane) is the difficult one, as it has to take into account that even though the distribution of velocities inside the oven is thermal, the distribution exiting the oven is affected by the fact that the probability of a given molecule crossing the plane is not independent of its velocity.

Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of time at the moment, but this is a problem I have solved before, and I'll try to get back to this later today.

I'd be very happy to hear more about your approach. To me this problem does not seem that trivial.

Best wishes,
Niles.

cjl said:

Hi cjl

Did you get a chance to look at your notes?

Niles.

1. What is the velocity distribution of atoms?

The velocity distribution of atoms refers to the range of velocities that individual atoms can have in a given substance. This distribution is affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and molecular interactions.

2. How is the velocity distribution of atoms measured?

The velocity distribution of atoms can be measured using techniques such as spectroscopy, which involves analyzing the wavelengths of emitted light from atoms to determine their velocities. Other methods include laser-induced fluorescence and particle beam techniques.

3. What is the significance of the velocity distribution of atoms?

The velocity distribution of atoms is important in understanding the behavior and properties of substances. It can provide information about their temperature, pressure, and the types of molecular interactions present. This knowledge is crucial in fields such as chemistry, physics, and materials science.

4. How does temperature affect the velocity distribution of atoms?

As temperature increases, the velocity distribution of atoms shifts towards higher velocities. This is because higher temperatures result in greater molecular motion, leading to faster-moving atoms. Additionally, the width of the velocity distribution also increases with temperature, indicating a greater range of velocities.

5. Can the velocity distribution of atoms be altered?

Yes, the velocity distribution of atoms can be altered by changing the temperature, pressure, or composition of a substance. For example, increasing pressure can result in a narrower velocity distribution, while adding impurities can affect the types of molecular interactions present and therefore alter the velocity distribution.