Velocity from position in a parametric

In summary, the conversation discusses methods for determining velocity from a position vector graph. The suggestion to plot the table of values and draw two graphs (one for x vs t and one for y vs t) is given. It is then explained that the velocity can be found by calculating the slope of the graph, with a reminder that there are two components to consider. The concept of tangents is introduced as a way to determine when the particle is moving parallel to the y-axis, with the example of a circle graph showing a clear point where the tangent is parallel to the y-axis. Finally, the method for identifying when the particle has come to a stop is discussed.
-EquinoX-

Homework Statement

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/7910/68588225.th.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the velocity is the derivative of the position vector.. but I am kind of confused how to do this

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
How about graphing the table of values to start?

e(ho0n3 said:
How about graphing the table of values to start?

I've done that as well... but from the graph I can't find the velocity

You should have drawn two graphs (why?) and the velocity is the slope (why?).

the velocity is the slope (why?).

because it's the derivative of the graph...

why two graph, I don't know

-EquinoX- said:
why two graph, I don't know
You need 2 because you have 2 position components: x vs t and y vs t.

ok, I got v = -4/5i + 5/5j, is this correct?

if that's correct, how do I answer this one:

Any time when the particle is moving parallel to the y-axis.

-EquinoX- said:
ok, I got v = -4/5i + 5/5j, is this correct?
I feel too lazy to verify that at moment. Just double-check the slope from each graph.

Any time when the particle is moving parallel to the y-axis.
This is where the x vs y graph comes into play. When would the particle by moving parallel to the y-axis in this graph? Hint: tangents.

e(ho0n3 said:
I feel too lazy to verify that at moment. Just double-check the slope from each graph.

This is where the x vs y graph comes into play. When would the particle by moving parallel to the y-axis in this graph? Hint: tangents.

the graph looks really weird... it's like a circle

Good. If it looks like a circle, there is a point where the tangent at that point is parallel to the y-axis. Do you agree?

yes and that is at point x = 7 and y = 5.. which is at 7.5 sec

how about:

Any time when the particle has come to a stop?

Hint: The particle is not moving when its velocity is 0.

I got it now.. thanks for the help :)

Last edited:

1. How is velocity calculated from position in a parametric equation?

The velocity in a parametric equation is calculated using the derivative of the position function, which is found by taking the derivative of each component of the equation with respect to time.

2. What is the difference between velocity and speed?

Velocity and speed are often used interchangeably, but they are actually two different quantities. Velocity is a vector quantity that includes both the magnitude (speed) and direction of motion, while speed is just the magnitude of the motion.

3. Can velocity be negative in a parametric equation?

Yes, velocity can be negative in a parametric equation. A negative velocity indicates motion in the opposite direction of the chosen positive direction, while a positive velocity indicates motion in the chosen positive direction.

4. How do you interpret the velocity graph in a parametric equation?

The velocity graph in a parametric equation shows the rate of change of the position function over time. The slope of the velocity graph at any point represents the instantaneous velocity at that time, and the area under the velocity graph represents the displacement of the object.

5. Can the velocity in a parametric equation change over time?

Yes, the velocity in a parametric equation can change over time. This can occur if the acceleration, which is the rate of change of velocity, is not constant. In this case, the velocity would change as the acceleration changes.