Calculating Velocity for Vibrating Beam System

In summary, the problem is to plot the velocity of a pinned beam with a force acting in the middle using the pde approach. The equation w(x,t) = ∑ [W_n (x) q_n (t)] can be used, and taking the derivative with respect to time will give the velocity. Using the boundary conditions, the coefficients can be solved for and the velocity can be plotted at the desired point.
marcas3

Homework Statement

The problem is as follows: there is a beam of length L pinned at both ends. A force F is acting in the middle. I must plot the velocity of this system at a point L/3 from the right. This is a continuous system so I am to use the pde approach.

Homework Equations

I'm pretty sure the equation below is the one to use. I know that plotting it will give me amplitude but how do I go about plotting the velocity? I'm thinking I just take the derivative of this equation since it gives me position. Is this a good assumption?

w(x,t) = ∑ [W_n (x) q_n (t)]

Any help greatly appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
The Attempt at a SolutionYes, you can take the derivative of this equation to get velocity. You simply have to differentiate both sides of the equation with respect to time. Doing so yields: w' (x,t) = ∑ [W_n' (x) q_n (t)] + ∑ [W_n (x) q_n' (t)]Now, you can substitute in your values for x and t, and use the boundary conditions to solve for the coefficients. Once you have the coefficients, you can plot the velocity at the point L/3 from the right.

1. What is the definition of velocity in a vibrating system?

Velocity in a vibrating system is the rate of change of displacement with respect to time. It is a vector quantity that describes the speed and direction of the motion of the system.

2. How is velocity calculated in a vibrating system?

Velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in displacement of the system by the change in time. It can also be obtained by taking the derivative of the displacement equation with respect to time.

3. What factors affect the velocity of a vibrating system?

The velocity of a vibrating system is affected by the frequency and amplitude of the vibration, as well as the properties of the system, such as mass, stiffness, and damping.

4. What is the relationship between velocity and frequency in a vibrating system?

The velocity of a vibrating system is directly proportional to the frequency of the vibration. This means that as the frequency increases, the velocity also increases, and vice versa.

5. How does damping affect the velocity of a vibrating system?

Damping is the energy dissipation mechanism in a vibrating system. It reduces the amplitude of the vibration and therefore decreases the velocity of the system. The higher the damping, the lower the velocity of the system.