Velocity persistence in Chapman-Enskog theory

In summary, the question at hand is about the diffusion coefficient of a mixture of gases with different densities and masses. The most exact expression for the diffusion coefficient can be obtained via the Chapman-Enskog approach, which takes into account molecular collisions. In this approach, the diffusion coefficient is inversely proportional to the square root of the molecular mass, meaning that as one gas has a greater mass, the diffusion coefficient decreases. However, in Meyer's approach, which considers the effect of velocity persistence, the diffusion coefficient increases with greater mass. It is difficult to determine which approach yields a better description without comparing with experimental data.
Dank matter
Hi guys!

My question is about the diffusion coefficient of the mixture of gases. Consider two gases in thermal equilibrium (Maxwell velocity distribution) having different densities n1 and n2. Let's suppose that the molecules are rigid spheres with diameters d1 and d2 and masses M and m respectively. As far as I am concerned, the most exact expression for the diffusion coefficient can be obtained via Chapman-Enskog approach and for the case described above the first approximation gives [Chapman, Cowling, 1970] $$ D_{12} = \frac{3\pi}{32(n_1 + n_2)\sigma_{12}} \sqrt{\frac{8kT}{\pi\mu}}\, ,$$ where ##\sigma_{12} = \pi(d_1+d_2)^2/4## is the cross section of the collision and ##\mu = mM/(m+M)## is the reduced mass.

If ##M \gg m## the diffusion coefficient becomes independent of M. However, in Meyer's approach the diffusion coefficient depends on the persistence factor $$D_{12} \sim \frac{1}{1-\theta} \frac{1}{(n_1+n_2)\sigma_{12}}\sqrt{\frac{8kT}{\pi M}}. $$ For rigid spheres the average persistence factor is [Jeans, 1967] $$\frac{1}{1-\theta} = \frac{3}{4}\frac{M}{\mu},$$ so the diffusion coefficient grows as ##\sqrt{M}## with the increase of M.

I would (naively) expect that Meyer's corrected formula yields a better description, because particles with an enormous mass will travel through the second gas almost without any interruption. On the other hand, of course, their average thermal velocity goes to zero with the growth of M, but I am not sure whether those two effects compensate each other according to Chapman-Enskog formula. Thus, I wonder if the effect of velocity persistence is accounted for in Chapman-Enskog approach? I know that there are next-order corrections to this formula, but at least the second correction for the case ##n_1 \ll n_2## is also independent of M when ##M \gg m## and according to [Chapman,Cowling, 1970] the third correction is very hard to compute (and I do not expect it to influence the result much). I tried to follow the derivation of the Chapman-Enskog formula for the diffusion coefficient, but this is not that easy :frown:

I hope my question is clear. I would be very grateful if you could help me with that.

Physics news on Phys.org

I would like to clarify some points regarding the diffusion coefficient in the case of a mixture of gases with different densities and masses.

Firstly, in the Chapman-Enskog approach, the diffusion coefficient is derived from the Boltzmann equation, which takes into account the molecular collisions between the two gases. This means that the effect of velocity persistence is already accounted for in this approach.

Secondly, in the Chapman-Enskog formula, the diffusion coefficient depends on the average thermal velocity of the molecules, which is inversely proportional to the square root of the molecular mass. This means that as the mass of one of the gases increases, the average thermal velocity decreases, leading to a decrease in the diffusion coefficient.

However, in Meyer's approach, the dependence of the diffusion coefficient on the persistence factor leads to an increase in the diffusion coefficient with increasing mass. This is because the persistence factor takes into account the fact that heavier molecules will travel through the second gas with less interruption.

In conclusion, both the Chapman-Enskog approach and Meyer's approach take into account different factors in determining the diffusion coefficient. While the first approach considers the molecular collisions, the second approach takes into account the effect of velocity persistence. It is difficult to say which approach yields a better description, as it depends on the specific conditions and assumptions made. It would be best to compare the results from both approaches with experimental data to determine which one is more accurate in a given scenario.

1. What is Chapman-Enskog theory?

Chapman-Enskog theory is a mathematical approach used to describe the behavior of gases in non-equilibrium conditions. It is based on the Boltzmann equation and uses a series expansion to calculate transport coefficients, such as viscosity and thermal conductivity.

2. How does Chapman-Enskog theory relate to velocity persistence?

In Chapman-Enskog theory, velocity persistence refers to the ability of a gas molecule to maintain its velocity over a certain period of time. This can be affected by factors such as collisions with other molecules and the presence of external forces.

3. Why is velocity persistence important in Chapman-Enskog theory?

Velocity persistence is important in Chapman-Enskog theory because it allows for the calculation of transport coefficients, which are essential for understanding the behavior of gases in non-equilibrium conditions. It also provides insight into the dynamics of individual gas molecules.

4. How is velocity persistence calculated in Chapman-Enskog theory?

Velocity persistence is calculated by using the Chapman-Enskog expansion to solve for the distribution function of a gas molecule. The distribution function describes the probability of a molecule having a certain velocity at a given time, and can be used to determine the persistence of that velocity.

5. What are some applications of velocity persistence in Chapman-Enskog theory?

Velocity persistence is used in a variety of applications, such as modeling the behavior of gases in combustion engines, predicting the flow of gases in industrial processes, and understanding the dynamics of plasmas and other complex systems. It is also important in the development of new materials and technologies.