1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity Question Please help

1. Nov 27, 2009 #1
    Velocity Question Please help!!!

When two objects are thrown horizontally at the same time? one has velocity 12m/s and other has velocity of 16 m/s // which object would fall first???

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2009 #2
    Re: Velocity Question Please help!!!

Well, the object is always experiencing one acceleration in this case: gravity, and we all know that is 9.81 m/s^2 down. So which of the balls will reach 0 m/s first, if one starts at 12 and the other 16? Neither one has an advantage in the rate at which they go to 0 m/s... They both move towards 0m/s at the same rate. One is just closer to being at 0m/s to start. So ... Draw your conclusion.

BTW, I say 0m/s because they are both accelerating down all the time. Once they reach 0m/s, they will be falling at the very next instant in time, so whichever reaches 0m/s first is the one that will be falling first.

And very obviously, whichever one starts moving towards the ground first is going to be the one that HITS the ground first. I hope that part is at least clear and assumed.

4. Dec 12, 2009 #3
    Re: Velocity Question Please help!!!

can you please eloborate on this... i think the one with higher speed hits the gorund first based on the information but please reply back

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook