Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity screw description of a robot end-effector question

1. Jul 8, 2011 #1

zyh

two_coordinates.png
    look at the above image, the red coordinates is attached to the robot end-effector, and the other one is the base.coordinates.

Now, As we know, the end-effector can do any rigid motion, so if a point P is attached on the robot end-effector. we can calculate the velocity of the point P.

The general formula is just like: [tex]\dot{P}=\omega\times a+b[/tex]
    Here, the [itex]\omega[/itex] is just the angular velocity, and b is the translation velocity.

But when reading some papers, I found the general formula has different expression.

One is:
    [tex]\dot{P}=\Omega\times P+T[/tex]
    here, P has the coordinates in base frame. T and [itex]\Omega[/itex] is defined as the velocity screw.

Another expression:
    [tex]\dot{P}=\omega\times(R\cdot^{1}P)+v[/tex]
    here, Here, the R is the rotation matrix of end-effector frame wrt base frame, and [itex]^{1}P[/itex] is the vector wrt end-effector frame. [itex]\omega v[/itex] is also some kind of velocity description about the end-effector. In-fact, this is the most convenient way I can understand.

I'm quite confusing that it seems both expression is valid, but what exactly does the velocity screw means?

For more details about the paper, I have also wrote another post, see here:
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=512697

Hope someone can give me some explanation on why there have two different formulas.

thanks very much!

zyh

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted