Velocity, speed, acceleration and ?

In summary, the conversation is about the difference between velocity and speed, and whether there is an analogous word or concept for acceleration. The speaker also mentions the Norwegian translations for velocity and speed.
jophysics
Hi!
a very simple question: I know the difference between velocity and speed. I would like to know if there is an analogous for the word acceleration.

thank you for your attention!

jo

Physics news on Phys.org
jophysics said:
I would like to know if there is an analogous for the word acceleration.
Not to my knowledge.

A simple question, specially not being mother tongue English. What is the real difference between "velocity" and "speed"?

Cheers

Vector (velocity) vs scalar (speed).

And, to be of even better help than Borek:

In Norwegian, velocity is "hastighet" and speed is "fart" (for those of abstruser educational level, celerity is "hurtighet")

:smile:

Are you asking if there is an analogous word or an analogous concept?

FAQ: Velocity, speed, acceleration and ?

1. What is the difference between velocity and speed?

Velocity and speed are often used interchangeably, but they have different meanings in physics. Speed is the measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is the measure of how fast an object is moving in a specific direction. In other words, velocity includes both speed and direction, while speed is just a measure of how fast something is moving regardless of direction.

2. How is acceleration defined?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (how much the velocity is changing) and direction (whether the object is speeding up or slowing down). The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi)/t, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

3. Can an object have a constant velocity and a non-zero acceleration?

Yes, an object can have a constant velocity and a non-zero acceleration. This is possible when the object is moving in a circular path. In this case, the object's velocity remains constant, but its direction is constantly changing, resulting in a non-zero acceleration.

4. How do you calculate average speed?

The average speed of an object is calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the total time taken. The formula for average speed is speed = distance/time. For example, if a car travels 100 miles in 2 hours, its average speed would be 50 miles per hour.

5. What is the difference between average speed and instantaneous speed?

Average speed is the total distance traveled divided by the total time taken, while instantaneous speed is the speed at a specific moment in time. In other words, average speed is an overall measure of an object's speed, while instantaneous speed gives the speed at a particular instant.

Back