Verification of the Divergence Theorem

In summary, the conversation discusses verifying the divergence theorem by showing that both sides of the theorem result in the same value. The vector field and surface are specified, and the surface is divided into two parts. The top surface is calculated to have a surface integral of \pi and the other surface has a surface integral of -\sqrt{2}\pi. However, the desired result is -\frac{\pi}{2} and the speaker is unsure where they went wrong in their calculations. They also mention a mistake in finding the unit normal.
haroldholt
The question I was given asks to verify the divergence theorem by showing that both sides of the theorem show the same result. With the divergence theorem obviously being [itex] \iint_S\mathbf{F}\cdot\mathbf{n}\,dS = \iiint_V \nabla\cdot\mathbf{F}\,dV [/itex].

The vector field is [itex] \mathbf{F}=\mathbf{i}+\mathbf{j}+\mathbf{k} [/itex] and the surface through which it is flowing is the cone [itex] z=\sqrt{x^2+y^2} [/itex] below the plane [itex] z = 1 [/itex].

Firstly, as far as I can tell, [itex] \iiint_V \nabla\cdot\mathbf{F}\,dV = 0 [/itex] since [itex] \nabla\cdot\mathbf{F} = 0 [/itex] which covers the right hand side of the divergence theorem.

So then I divided the surface into two, that is the top of the cone and the rest of the cone.

For the top of the cone I got the surface integral as [itex] \frac{\pi}{2} [/itex] since [itex] \mathbf{F}\cdot\mathbf{n} = (\mathbf{i}+\mathbf{j}+\mathbf{k})\cdot(\mathbf{k}) = 1 [/itex] so then you're just left with the surface integral of 1 which by definition is the area of the surface. And since the radius is [itex] \sqrt{\frac{1}{2}} [/itex], the area is [itex] \frac{\pi}{2} [/itex].

Now for the other surface I found the unit normal to be [itex] \frac{\cos{t}+\sin{t}-1}{\sqrt{2}} [/itex] after parametrizing the surface as [itex] \mathbf{r} = z\cos{t}\mathbf{i} + z\sin{t}\mathbf{j} + z\mathbf{k} [/itex] thus finding [itex] \iint_S\mathbf{F}\cdot\mathbf{n}\,dS = -\sqrt{2}\pi [/itex].

Obviously I wanted the result to be [itex] -\frac{\pi}{2} [/itex] so that the total surface integral would be equal to zero which would verify the divergence theorem for this problem. But it's not and I can't figure out where I went wrong. Since [itex] -\sqrt{2}\pi [/itex] is fairly close to [itex] -\frac{\pi}{2} [/itex] I figure I'm on the right track at least with my working.

Hope this makes sense and thank you in advance for any assistance.

Physics news on Phys.org
on the upper surface, z=1 so you get [itex]x^2+y^2=1[/itex] is eqn of circle radius 1 and so your upper integral should be [itex]\pi[/itex].

how did you find the normal - you haven't specified a direction for the unit normal so at the moment it's just a scalar.

latentcorpse said:
on the upper surface, z=1 so you get [itex]x^2+y^2=1[/itex] is eqn of circle radius 1 and so your upper integral should be [itex]\pi[/itex].

how did you find the normal - you haven't specified a direction for the unit normal so at the moment it's just a scalar.

Oh yes of course. Stupid mistake on my behalf. But if the integral of the top surface is [itex]\pi[/itex] I still don't get the correct answer.

I found the unit normal using [itex] \frac{\partial{\mathbf{r}}}{\partial{t}}\times\frac{\partial{\mathbf{r}}}{\partial{z}} [/itex] then dividing the result by the magnitude. There's supposed to be an i, j and k on the 3 different terms in the unit normal, my bad.

Last edited:

Related to Verification of the Divergence Theorem

1. What is the Divergence Theorem and why is it important?

The Divergence Theorem is a fundamental theorem in mathematics that relates the flow of a vector field through a closed surface to the divergence of the field inside the surface. It is important because it allows us to convert a surface integral into a volume integral, making it easier to solve certain problems in a three-dimensional space.

2. How is the Divergence Theorem used in real-world applications?

The Divergence Theorem is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and fluid dynamics. It is particularly useful in calculating the flow of fluids through a surface, which has practical applications in designing pipelines, heat exchangers, and other systems that involve fluid flow.

3. What are the conditions for the Divergence Theorem to be valid?

The Divergence Theorem is valid for any smooth vector field and a closed surface that is bounded by a smooth curve. The surface must also enclose a finite volume and the curve must have a consistent orientation. Additionally, the field must be continuous and differentiable within the volume enclosed by the surface.

4. Can the Divergence Theorem be applied to non-rectangular regions?

Yes, the Divergence Theorem can be applied to any region as long as it meets the conditions mentioned earlier. It does not have to be a rectangular region, as long as the surface is closed and the field is continuous and differentiable within the region.

5. How is the Divergence Theorem related to other theorems in mathematics?

The Divergence Theorem is closely related to other fundamental theorems such as the Green's Theorem, Stokes' Theorem, and the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. In fact, the Divergence Theorem can be seen as a generalization of these theorems to three-dimensional spaces.