Vertical Movement: Alternatives to Using a Cam

In summary, the person is looking for a method to shake a thin perspex box sinusoidally for a school physics competition. They have tried using a flywheel and cam, but are open to other methods. Some suggestions include using a linear actuator or a spring, but it may be expensive. The person is also concerned about the box's weight and stability. Using a crank from a bicycle may be a possible solution.
secureprivacy
Hi

I have a thin box (e.g. like an A4 book) I would like to shake up and down sinusoidally. At the moment I have a flywheel connected to a beefy motor. I have tried using a cam to do it but it has proven not so ideal. What other methods can I use?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Buy a jigsaw or a reciprocating saw.

What's your budget? What period do you need? What amplitude do you need?

You could buy an linear actuator and have complete control over all those parameters. A little bit expensive that's all. :-)

Yea its for a school physics competition - so I am keeping things as simple as possible - 1 to 10 Hz and about 5cm max of amplitude?

5cm and 1-2Hz seems possible with an actuator. But will be expensive.

Depending on the mass, you could also use a spring?

5cm and 10Hz is quite fast... are you sure your thin cardboard box won't fly apart?

Oh just to clarify, its a thin perspex box which weighs about 500g?

At 0.05m peak to peak and 10 Hz, the maximum acceleration is
(2 * pi * 10)^2 * 0.05/2 = 98 m/s^2 = about 10G.
You will need a rigid connection that can pull the box down as well as push it up, and the force on the box will be 10 times the weight of the box.

For a simple cam you need to keep the acceleration below 1G, otherwise the box will lift off the cam when it is moving down. That will limit you to about 3 Hz with an peak to peak amplitude of 0.05m.

Why not use something like the crank off a bicycle?

1. What is vertical movement and why is it important?

Vertical movement refers to the motion of an object or system in a vertical direction, either upwards or downwards. It is important because it allows for changes in height or elevation, which can be necessary for various tasks and functions such as lifting, lowering, climbing, or descending.

2. How does vertical movement using a cam work?

A cam is a rotating or sliding piece in a mechanism that is used to transmit motion to another part, typically a follower. When the cam rotates or slides, the follower is raised or lowered, creating a vertical movement. This movement is controlled by the shape and size of the cam and the speed and direction of its rotation or sliding.

3. What are some alternatives to using a cam for vertical movement?

Some alternatives to using a cam for vertical movement include pulleys and ropes, gears, hydraulic or pneumatic systems, and electric or hydraulic linear actuators. These methods can provide precise and controlled vertical movement without the limitations of a cam's shape and size.

4. What are the advantages of using alternative methods for vertical movement?

Using alternative methods for vertical movement can offer several advantages, such as greater flexibility in design and functionality, smoother and more precise movement, and the ability to handle heavier loads or larger objects. They also eliminate the need for frequent maintenance and replacement of cams, which can be costly and time-consuming.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using alternative methods for vertical movement?

While alternative methods for vertical movement can offer many advantages, there are also some potential drawbacks. These may include higher costs for initial setup and equipment, more complex designs and systems, and a need for specialized expertise for installation and maintenance. Additionally, some methods may require a power source or energy input, while a cam can operate purely through mechanical motion.