Vertical Sections and Level Curves

In summary, to find the vertical sections and level curves of the function z=max(x,y^2) associated with the constants 1, 2, 3, and 4, you can use the equations z=f(c,y) and c=f(x,y). This function represents the greater value between x and y^2 at any given (x,y) input. To better understand this function, try solving for cases where x > y^2.
Juggler123
I need to find the vertical sections and level curves of the function z=max(x,y^2) associated with the constant 1,2,3,4 so that I can sketch them.

I know given z=f(x,y) then the vertical sections of the function are z=f(c,y) where c is a constant and the level curves are c=f(x,y). I've been able to sketch other problems similar to this but I don't understand the function z=max(x,y^2). Can someone help please?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I recommend first solving where x > y^2. z = max( x, y^2 ) means z is whichever value is greater at any given (x,y) input.

1. What is a vertical section in science?

A vertical section in science is a graphical representation of a three-dimensional object or space, shown as if it has been sliced vertically and viewed from the side. It is commonly used to illustrate the internal structure or composition of an object or to visualize changes over time.

2. How is a vertical section different from a horizontal section?

A vertical section is a representation of a three-dimensional object or space that has been sliced vertically and viewed from the side, while a horizontal section is a representation of the same object or space that has been sliced horizontally and viewed from the top. These two types of sections provide different perspectives and can reveal different information about the object or space.

3. What are level curves?

Level curves, also known as contour lines, are lines on a map or graph that connect points of equal value. They are commonly used in science to represent changes in elevation, temperature, pressure, or other measurable quantities. Level curves can also be used to map out the boundaries of different regions within a graph or map.

4. How are vertical sections and level curves related?

Vertical sections and level curves are related because they both provide a way to visualize changes in a three-dimensional object or space. Vertical sections show a cross-section of an object or space from a specific viewpoint, while level curves show the changes in a measurable quantity within that object or space. Together, they can give a more comprehensive understanding of the object or space being studied.

5. What are some applications of vertical sections and level curves in science?

Vertical sections and level curves have many applications in science, including geology, geography, biology, and engineering. They can be used to map out geological formations, track changes in temperature or elevation, visualize the structure of biological organisms, and plan the construction of buildings or infrastructure. These tools are also useful in data analysis and modeling in a variety of scientific fields.