Vertical spring and unattached mass

In summary, the conversation discusses the motion of an object on a vertical spring. It is noted that when the object is released from a position past equilibrium, it will experience infinite acceleration and separate from the spring at the moment when the spring reaches its relaxed length. The conversation also addresses clarifications about the "when" and "how much" aspects of the object's separation from the spring.
Razvan
Suppose I have a vertical spring and an object.
If I slowly put the object on the spring until it reaches the new equilibrium point, and then I push it more and after that I release it, when exactly will the object "separate" from the spring?
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you push it down just a little past equilibrium and release it, what kind of motion results? Ignore friction and assume an ideal spring.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter how much more I push it past equilibrium, let's assume it is enough for the object to be "launched". For the part of the motion before reaching the original equilibrium point of the spring the motion is a known one, but I think that after the spring reaches its equilibrium, the elastic force acts on the spring alone (because the object is not tied to the spring). A force acting on an object with almost zero mass should result in an infinite acceleration, which means this should be the moment when the object is separated from the spring. Is this correct?

An ideal spring stops providing a force on the object the instant it reaches its relaxed length.

And that moment is the answer to my question, am I right? Thank you.

Razvan said:
It doesn't matter how much more I push it past equilibrium, let's assume it is enough for the object to be "launched".

The "when" that I assumed that you were asking about is "how hard do I have to push it down before the release will ultimately launch the mass so that it loses contact with the spring?"

Are you instead asking "how much time will elapse between when I release it and when it loses contact with the spring?"

How much time or the position where the object is no longer in contact with the spring.

Then CWaters has provided the answer.

Related to Vertical spring and unattached mass

1. What is a vertical spring and unattached mass?

A vertical spring and unattached mass is a simple mechanical system consisting of a spring attached to a fixed point at the top and an unattached mass hanging at the bottom. When the mass is pulled down and released, the spring will stretch and the mass will oscillate up and down due to the restoring force of the spring.

2. What is the relationship between the spring constant and the frequency of oscillation in a vertical spring and unattached mass system?

The spring constant, which is a measure of the stiffness of the spring, is directly proportional to the frequency of oscillation in a vertical spring and unattached mass system. This means that as the spring constant increases, the frequency of oscillation also increases.

3. How does the mass of the object affect the period of oscillation in a vertical spring and unattached mass system?

The mass of the object has no effect on the period of oscillation in a vertical spring and unattached mass system. The period of oscillation is solely determined by the spring constant and the acceleration due to gravity.

4. Can a vertical spring and unattached mass system exhibit simple harmonic motion?

Yes, a vertical spring and unattached mass system can exhibit simple harmonic motion as long as the amplitude of oscillation is small and the restoring force of the spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the mass.

5. How can the energy of a vertical spring and unattached mass system be calculated?

The total mechanical energy of a vertical spring and unattached mass system can be calculated using the equation E = ½kx², where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement of the mass from its equilibrium position. This energy is conserved throughout the oscillation of the system.