So, is the frequency of the wave affected by the change in velocity?If so, how?

• Thread starter SEZHUR
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wave
In summary, if a wave of velocity v, frequency f and wavelength \lambda travels through a medium, the further the wave travels the greater the velocity of wave. However, if either the wavelength or the frequency is held constant and the wave speed increases, how do the wavelength and the frequency change in order to accomadate the change in velocity? Frequency remains constant because it is only dependent on the source of vibration and not on the medium it travels. Finally, let me test out your advice for latex and see if it works.
SEZHUR
I've got a sinking feeling that the answer to this question is blatantly obvious, but here goes:
If a wave of velocity v, frequency f and wavelength [tex]\lambda[/tex] travels through a medium whose density is inversely proportional to distance, such that the further the wave travels the greater the velocity of wave, in what manner do f and [tex]\lambda[/tex] change?

Put more simply, if neither the wavelength nor the frequency is held constant and the wave speed increases, how do the wavelength and the frequency change in order to accomadate the change in velocity.

My guess at an answer is that each changes as the square root of the change in the velocity
Eg. 2v=[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex][tex]\lambda[/tex][tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]f

Thanks for your time

Ps. How do i get the latex commands to work without them jumping down a line?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi SEZHUR! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(write "itex" rather than "tex", and it won't keep starting a new line :wink: …)
SEZHUR said:
If a wave of velocity v, frequency f and wavelength [itex]\lambda[/itex] travels through a medium whose density is inversely proportional to distance, such that the further the wave travels the greater the velocity of wave, in what manner do f and [itex]\lambda[/itex] change?

The frequency stays the same. :smile:

Thanks for your response and sorry for the delay in mine.
I spoke to my tutors and they gave the same response you did; upon pushing for a reason it became apparent that the real reason why frequency remains constant is locked up a few levels above me :redface: so for the moment I'm happy to believe it based on energy conservation (if frequency changes then so does energy...)

Finally, let me test out your advice for latex...
v = [itex]\lambda[/itex]f

Thanks

frequency remains constant because it is only dependent on the source of vibration and not on the medium it travels, i guess!

Hi SEZHUR! :smile:

Look at two molecules on either side of an interface, almost touching each other …

they must have the same frequency as each other, otherwise you'd have a continuous sliding earthquake at the interface, wouldn't you? :wink:

(And it's the same even if the medium changes gradually rather than suddenly.)

1. What is a wave?

A wave is a disturbance that travels through a medium, transferring energy from one point to another without any actual transfer of matter.

2. What are the types of waves?

There are two main types of waves: transverse waves and longitudinal waves. Transverse waves have oscillations perpendicular to the direction of wave travel, while longitudinal waves have oscillations parallel to the direction of wave travel.

3. How do waves transfer energy?

Waves transfer energy through the oscillation of particles in the medium they are traveling through. As the wave moves, the particles vibrate back and forth, transferring energy to the neighboring particles.

4. What factors affect the speed of a wave?

The speed of a wave is affected by the properties of the medium it is traveling through, such as density, elasticity, and temperature. It is also affected by the frequency and wavelength of the wave.

5. What is the relationship between frequency and wavelength in a wave?

The frequency of a wave is inversely proportional to its wavelength. This means that as the frequency increases, the wavelength decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the wave equation: v = fλ, where v is the wave speed, f is the frequency, and λ is the wavelength.