Proving n & m Divide k When gcd(m,n)=1

• Thread starter Diophantus
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a method for proving the statement: "If m and n are natural numbers such that their greatest common divisor is 1, and n divides k and m divides k for some natural number k, then nm divides k." The method involves using the fundamental theorem of arithmetic and decomposing m and n into their unique prime factors. The conversation also highlights the importance of understanding mathematical symbols and not just relying on words.
Diophantus
I forgot how to prove the following, can anyone jog my memory:

Let m,n be natural numbers s.t. gcd(m,n) = 1 and n|k and m|k for some natural number k.

Then nm|k.

I know I'll kick myself when I find out. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
well what do n|k and m|k represent and what does it imply about k? think in terms of mathematical symbols and not words. Apply the gcd constriction and then you should be done.

This also falls to the fundamental theorem of arithmetic nicely.

Oh I see it now!

You just decompose m and n into their unique prime factors and note that no prime factor of m can be a prime factor of n and vice versa.

So if am = k = bn then each prime factor of n, say, divides a (with aprropriate multiplicity) and hence n divides a giving the result.

Ta.

1. What is the significance of gcd(m,n)=1 in proving n & m divide k?

The greatest common divisor (gcd) of two numbers represents the largest number that can evenly divide both numbers. In this case, gcd(m,n)=1 means that m and n have no common factors other than 1, making them relatively prime. This is important in proving that n and m can divide k, as it eliminates any other factors that could potentially interfere with the division.

2. How do you go about proving that n and m divide k when gcd(m,n)=1?

In order to prove that n and m divide k, we must show that k is a multiple of both n and m. Since gcd(m,n)=1, we know that n and m have no common factors other than 1. Therefore, we can express k as a product of m and n, multiplied by some integer. This shows that k is indeed a multiple of both n and m, proving that they divide k.

3. Can you provide an example of how to prove n and m divide k with gcd(m,n)=1?

Sure, let's say we want to prove that 3 and 4 divide 24. We know that gcd(3,4)=1, so we can express 24 as 3*4*2. This shows that 24 is a multiple of both 3 and 4, proving that they divide 24.

4. Does the value of k affect the proof of n and m dividing k when gcd(m,n)=1?

No, the value of k does not affect the proof. As long as gcd(m,n)=1, we can always express k as a product of m and n, multiplied by some integer. The specific value of k does not change this fact.

5. How does proving n and m divide k with gcd(m,n)=1 relate to the fundamental theorem of arithmetic?

The fundamental theorem of arithmetic states that every positive integer can be uniquely expressed as a product of prime numbers. In our case, proving that n and m divide k with gcd(m,n)=1 is essentially showing that k can be expressed as a product of m and n, which are prime numbers. This aligns with the fundamental theorem of arithmetic, providing a deeper understanding of the concept.