Solving Very Hard Algebra: Step by Step Guide

It should be x = edb/(ad+bc)In summary, Both expressions have the variable x as the subject. To solve them, use the distributive property to find a common factor. For the first expression, the solution is x = edb/(ad+bc). For the second expression, the solution is x = da/b(ed-c).
Gringo123
Well it's very hard for me anyway!
In both of the following expressions I have to make x the subject. Can anybody break them down for me and explain step by step how to solve them?

ax/b + cx/d = e

a/bx + c/d = e

From looking at the answers I know that the solutions are as follows:
1. x = edb/ad+bc
2. x = da/b(ed-c)

Physics news on Phys.org
Gringo123 said:
Well it's very hard for me anyway!
In both of the following expressions I have to make x the subject. Can anybody break them down for me and explain step by step how to solve them?

ax/b + cx/d = e

a/bx + c/d = e

From looking at the answers I know that the solutions are as follows:
1. x = edb/ad+bc
2. x = da/b(ed-c)

I can give you a hint.

For 1. start by using the distributive property

So that would mean...
- ax/b + cx/d = e
- axd+cxb/bd = e
and from there I can get to the answer x = edb/ad+bc by using and rearranging the formula A=BC/D. Is that the right way to do it?

I've have tried applying the same logic to number and it doesn't seem to work.

Thanks for your help by the way.

Gringo123 said:
So that would mean...
- ax/b + cx/d = e
- axd+cxb/bd = e
and from there I can get to the answer x = edb/ad+bc by using and rearranging the formula A=BC/D. Is that the right way to do it?

No; the above steps are incorrect. You've taken the term cx/d and multiplied top and bottom by b, which makes no difference to that term; but you've replaced ax/b with axd.

The distributive property, in this case, means you should look for a common factor. This is a good way to approach problem number 1. The original equation is
ax/b + cx/d = e

Can you see any common factors there?

Cheers -- sylas

PS. Your solution to number 1 needs some parentheses.

1. How do I solve very hard algebra problems?

To solve very hard algebra problems, it is important to follow a step-by-step approach. Start by identifying the problem and understanding the given information. Then, use the appropriate formulas and techniques to simplify the problem and solve for the unknown variable. Remember to check your answer to ensure it is correct.

2. What are some strategies for solving very hard algebra problems?

Some strategies for solving very hard algebra problems include breaking the problem down into smaller parts, using substitution or elimination, and working backwards from the answer. It can also be helpful to draw diagrams or create tables to visualize the problem and make it easier to solve.

3. How can I improve my algebra problem solving skills?

Practice is key to improving your algebra problem solving skills. Make sure to consistently practice solving different types of problems and challenging yourself with more difficult ones. It can also be helpful to seek out additional resources, such as online tutorials or working with a tutor, to further improve your skills.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving very hard algebra problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving very hard algebra problems include not carefully reading the problem, using incorrect formulas or techniques, and making careless errors while solving the problem. It is important to double check your work and be precise in your calculations.

5. How can I stay organized while solving very hard algebra problems?

One way to stay organized while solving very hard algebra problems is to write down each step of the problem and clearly label your work. This will help you keep track of your progress and make it easier to spot any mistakes. It is also helpful to use a calculator or graph paper to keep calculations neat and organized.