How Thick Should the Film Be for Strong Reflection at 610 nm?

In summary, the problem involves coating a glass lens with a film of material with a different index of refraction. The thinnest possible film is used to create a strong reflection for 610 nm light. Gradually increasing the film thickness results in another strong reflection. The task is to determine the thickness of the film at this point. The relevant equation is wavelength in film = wavelength in a vacuum / index of refraction of film, but the answer cannot be determined with the given information. Further analysis and consideration of the relevant factors is necessary.
astru025
1. Homework Statement

You are coating a glass lens of index of refraction 1.6 with a film of material of index of refraction 1.7. You start with the thinnest film possible that creates a strong reflection for 610 nm light. You gradually increase the film thickness until you again get strong reflection. What is the thickness of the film now?

2. Homework Equations

Wavelength in film = wavelength in a vacuum / index of refraction of film

610 nm / 1.6 = my answer? Not sure if this is correct.

3. The Attempt at a Solution
Just need to be pointed in the right direction! Really am not sure where to start for this problem. Any help would be really nice!

Physics news on Phys.org
astru025 said:
1. Homework Statement

You are coating a glass lens of index of refraction 1.6 with a film of material of index of refraction 1.7. You start with the thinnest film possible that creates a strong reflection for 610 nm light. You gradually increase the film thickness until you again get strong reflection. What is the thickness of the film now?

2. Homework Equations

Wavelength in film = wavelength in a vacuum / index of refraction of film

610 nm / 1.6 = my answer? Not sure if this is correct.
Probably not.

3. The Attempt at a Solution
Just need to be pointed in the right direction! Really am not sure where to start for this problem. Any help would be really nice!
It's fairly obvious you're just guessing. I mean, how do you know the answer isn't 610 nm/1.7? Or maybe it's some combination of 1.6 and 1.7. Or maybe it has absolutely nothing to do with the indexes of refraction. Why do you think it does? (It could be the information is superfluous.)

Think about what's going on here. What's happening when get a strong reflection?

1. What makes a physics problem "very hard"?

A physics problem is considered "very hard" when it requires advanced mathematical skills and a deep understanding of complex physical concepts to solve.

2. How can I approach a very hard physics problem?

To approach a very hard physics problem, it is important to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts and use fundamental principles and equations to solve each part.

3. Is there a specific strategy or technique for solving very hard physics problems?

Yes, there are various strategies and techniques that can be used to solve very hard physics problems. These include using analogies, visualizations, and simplifications to better understand the problem, as well as checking for units and physical plausibility of the solutions.

4. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

Improving problem-solving skills in physics requires practice and persistence. It is also helpful to review and understand fundamental concepts and equations, and to seek guidance from teachers or peers when struggling with a problem.

5. Can I use a calculator or other tools to solve very hard physics problems?

Yes, calculators and other tools can be useful in solving very hard physics problems. However, it is important to understand the underlying concepts and not solely rely on the calculator for the solution.