What lenses and setup should I use for a very narrow beam projector?

In summary, the conversation discusses the project of projecting a logo on a narrow angle using a bright and focused light. The idea is to use a lens to create a collimated light, but there are concerns about the size of the LED and the details that can be projected with a glass gobo. The conversation also mentions a schematic for gobo projection and the use of bi-convex converging lenses. It is suggested to experiment with cheap lenses to find the most appropriate setup for the project.
nikosb
I am working on a project where I have to project a logo on a very narrow angle like shown below:

LED_setup2.png

The projection distance will vary between 6-10 yards and at 10 yards the projected diameter will not be larger than 12inches so the beam angle needs to be less than 5 degrees. The idea is to have a very bright and focused light that can be seen in bright environments, is small and hand held. For example I have a $10 flashlight off ebay that uses a CREE XM-L LED and an aspheric lens that produces a very collimated light and can be seen in lighted environments:

Tiablo3_small.jpg

I could use a larger aspheric lense and narrow the projection angle down to 5 degrees but it will always project the shape of the LED emitter. I could de-dome the LED and place a glass gobo directly on top of the LED so as to project gobos with the LED shaped beam as the background. However LED measures only 5x5mm and I am not sure the glass gobo can have very fine details on such a small size.

I have seen somewhere else this schematic for gobo projection:

Screen_Shot_2014_12_28_at_5_31_27_PM.png

but I don't understand how it works. Supposedly you place the gobo with the image right at the aperture and before the field lens. I don't know what type of lens the field lens is (double convex, plano convex), what the focal distances of either lenses should be, and if this setup could even produce a very narrow beam?

I found some more things online, like this video on youtube, and this webpage showing how to convert a flashlight into a gobo projector albeit with a wide projection angle but I want to understand the physics and see if I can custom make something for my needs. Any advice on what lenses or setup could work for my project?

Physics news on Phys.org
The lenses shown are bi-convex converging lenses. You can use any appropriate lenses so long as they have the converging property (incoming light converges on the optic axis).

You should be able to use a simple ray diagram to work out what would happen if the object were placed at the aperture.
It's unlikely you'd want to do that though. Your best bet is to rig something up and see what happens - then fiddle with the setup.
That's what educational projects are for.

I agree with you but before I go ahead and buy any lens I want to understand how it works so that I can order the most appropriate lenses for the task. There are still some things I don't understand, the red arrow lines in the above picture indicate the focal lengths, if the lenses are bi-convex shouldn't the arrows for the field lens have the same focal distance left and right?

I worked a little bit more on the diagram and this what I came up with:

projector_setup.png

The field lens is focused on the LED so the light emitted by the LED passes through the lens and leaves almost parallel. The gobo is place right after the field lens. The objective lens is focused on the gobo/field lens so any light (which is almost parallel) reaching the objective lens will have to converge towards the focal length on the other side.

1. If light is converging after the objective lens how can I keep the beam angle really tight (less than 5 degrees)?

2. I also thought that an object placed at the focal point does not have a real image. How can the gobo placed at the focal point of the objective lens be relayed forward?

You want to start experimenting with cheap lenses since you have to buy the equipment yourself. Any magnifying glasses should be fine - just get different focal lengths.
(Are you sure you cannot borrow some from someplace?)

Notes:
An object at the focal length will have an image at infinity. But the logo in that position is not really an "object" since it is not a diffuse source: what you are doing is making a beam of light that has different colors in different places. By adjusting the objective-field spacing, you can fine tune how tight the resulting beam is - you'll probably want to use some sort of screw mounting.

I would first recommend conducting some research on optics and lens design to better understand the principles and limitations of light projection. This will help you make informed decisions about the lenses and setup that would work best for your project.

One option for achieving a very narrow beam projection could be using a collimating lens, which is designed to take a diverging beam of light and make it parallel or nearly parallel. This would allow you to control the beam angle and achieve a more focused and concentrated projection.

Another option could be using a combination of lenses, such as a convex lens and a concave lens, to create a beam expander. This setup can also help control the beam angle and allow for a more precise projection.

In terms of the gobo projection setup you mentioned, it is important to consider the focal lengths and types of lenses used in order to achieve the desired beam angle. It may also be helpful to consult with an optics expert or consult with manufacturers of projection equipment for guidance on lens selection and setup.

Overall, it is important to carefully consider the design and components of your projector in order to achieve the desired narrow beam projection. Conducting thorough research and consulting with experts in the field can greatly help in this process.

1. What is a very narrow beam projector?

A very narrow beam projector is a type of projector that produces a focused beam of light with a narrow angle of projection. It is typically used for long distance projections or in situations where precision and accuracy are crucial.

2. How does a very narrow beam projector work?

A very narrow beam projector uses a lens or mirror system to focus the light from the lamp onto a small area, producing a tight and concentrated beam. The beam is then directed towards the projection surface, often using a motorized pan-tilt mechanism for added flexibility.

3. What are the advantages of using a very narrow beam projector?

One of the main advantages of a very narrow beam projector is its ability to project over long distances with high precision and accuracy. It also allows for sharper and more defined images, making it ideal for detailed presentations or projections in large venues.

4. What are the applications of a very narrow beam projector?

Very narrow beam projectors have a variety of applications, including in theaters, concert venues, and large event spaces. They are also commonly used in scientific research, architectural projections, and outdoor advertising.

5. How do I choose the right very narrow beam projector for my needs?

When choosing a very narrow beam projector, consider factors such as the throw distance, brightness, resolution, and lens options. It is also important to assess the specific needs of your project or event and choose a projector that meets those requirements.