Very simple complex question

• Thread starter John O' Meara
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Complex
In summary, the conversation discusses the equation \exp^{iy} = \cos y + \iota \sin y and its various solutions, including \exp^{\frac{\pi \iota}{2}}, \exp^{\pi \iota}, \exp^{\frac{-\pi \iota}{2}}, and \exp^{2 \pi \iota}. The question arises of what \sqrt{\iota} is equal to, and it is noted that \left(\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}+ \frac{i\sqrt{2}}{2}\right)\left(\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}+ \frac{i\sqrt{2}}{2}\right)
John O' Meara
According to this equation [tex] \exp^{iy} = \cos y + \iota \sin y \mbox{ => } \exp^{\frac{\pi \iota}{2}} = \iota \ \mbox{,} \ \\ \exp^{\pi \iota} = -1 \ \ \exp^{\frac{-\pi \iota}{2}} = -\iota \ \ \exp^{2 \pi \iota} = 1 \\ [/tex]. What then is [tex] \sqrt{\iota} = \iota^{\frac{1}{2}} \mbox{ equal to ?} \\ [/tex]
Does not [tex] \exp^{\frac{\pi \iota}{4}}=\cos\frac{\pi}{4} + \sin\frac{\pi}{4} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} +\frac{\iota}{\sqrt{2}} \ \mbox{ which is not =} \ \sqrt{\iota} \\[/tex]
I find it hard to see that it equals [tex] \exp^{\frac{\pi \iota}{4}}\\[/tex]. Help would be welcome. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
(1/sqrt(2)+i/sqrt(2))^2=1/2+2*i/(sqrt(2)*sqrt(2))-1/2=2*i/2=i.

John O' Meara said:
According to this equation [tex] \exp^{iy} = \cos y + \iota \sin y \mbox{ => } \exp^{\frac{\pi \iota}{2}} = \iota \ \mbox{,} \ \\ \exp^{\pi \iota} = -1 \ \ \exp^{\frac{-\pi \iota}{2}} = -\iota \ \ \exp^{2 \pi \iota} = 1 \\ [/tex]. What then is [tex] \sqrt{\iota} = \iota^{\frac{1}{2}} \mbox{ equal to ?} \\ [/tex]
Does not [tex] \exp^{\frac{\pi \iota}{4}}=\cos\frac{\pi}{4} + \sin\frac{\pi}{4} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} +\frac{\iota}{\sqrt{2}} \ \mbox{ which is not =} \ \sqrt{\iota} \\[/tex]
I find it hard to see that it equals [tex] \exp^{\frac{\pi \iota}{4}}\\[/tex]. Help would be welcome. Thanks.
Why do you think [itex]\sqrt{2}/2 +i\sqrt{2}/2[/itex] is not equal to [itex]\sqrt{i}[/itex]. Dick did the calculations but it's just a little bit hard to read. In Tex:
[tex]\left(\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}+ \frac{i\sqrt{2}}{2}\right)\left(\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}+ \frac{i\sqrt{2}}{2}\right)[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}+ \frac{i\sqrt{2}}{2}\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}+ \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}\frac{i\sqrt{2}}{2}+ \frac{i\sqrt{2}}{2}\frac{i\sqrt{2}}{2}[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{1}{2}+ \frac{i}{2}+ \frac{i}{2}- \frac{1}{2}= i[/tex]
Of course, like any non-zero number, i has two square roots. The other is
[tex]-\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}-\frac{i\sqrt{2}}{2}[/tex].

1. What is a "Very simple complex question"?

A "Very simple complex question" is a question that may seem simple at first, but actually has multiple layers and requires critical thinking to answer.

2. How do you identify a "Very simple complex question"?

A "Very simple complex question" can be identified by looking for keywords or phrases that suggest multiple perspectives or possible answers. It may also be a question that cannot be answered with a simple yes or no.

3. Why are "Very simple complex questions" important in science?

"Very simple complex questions" are important in science because they encourage critical thinking and help scientists to explore different perspectives and potential solutions. They also allow for a deeper understanding of complex phenomena.

4. How can one effectively answer a "Very simple complex question"?

To effectively answer a "Very simple complex question", one should break it down into smaller, more manageable parts and consider each aspect individually. It is also helpful to gather information from multiple sources and consider different perspectives before coming to a conclusion.

5. Can "Very simple complex questions" be answered with a simple Google search?

No, "Very simple complex questions" typically require critical thinking and analysis, and cannot be answered with a simple Google search. It is important to gather information from reliable sources and think critically about the question in order to provide an accurate answer.