Very simple Simplification Question

• Thread starter mike_302
  • Start date
In summary, the equation (2x^2+4x+2)/(x+1) can be simplified to 2(x+1). This can be achieved by factoring out a common factor of 2 and simplifying the expression (x^2+2x+1) to a perfect square of (x+1)^2.
mike_302

Homework Statement

(2x^2+4x+2)/x+1 = l

Simplify the equation for l. I do not want to solve it, just simplify.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I actually reduced the equation this far already, and the back of the book says I have gotten the equation right up to this point, but then it gives the answer, but not the steps to get there. The ANSWER: 2(x+1) ... I do not understand how to get that .

Physics news on Phys.org
(2x^2+4x+2)=2(x^2+2x+1)

can you simplify (x^2+2x+1) further? (think of perfect squares)

OH! Ok, I got it. Thanks for the help! I can't believe I missed that.

[tex](2x^{2}+4x+2)/(x+1)[/tex]

[tex](2(x^{2}+2x+1)/(x+1)[/tex]

[tex]2(x+1)^{2}/(x+1)[/tex]

[tex]2(x+1)[/tex]

What is simplification?

Simplification is the process of breaking down complex ideas or systems into simpler, more understandable components or concepts. It involves removing unnecessary details or steps to make something easier to understand or solve.

Why is simplification important in scientific research?

Simplification is important in scientific research because it allows scientists to focus on the essential elements of a problem or theory and make meaningful conclusions. It also helps to communicate complex ideas and findings to a wider audience.

How can simplification be achieved in scientific research?

Simplification can be achieved through various methods such as using analogies, visual aids, or breaking down a problem into smaller, more manageable parts. It also involves critically analyzing and evaluating information to determine what is essential and what can be eliminated.

What are the potential challenges of simplification in scientific research?

One potential challenge of simplification in scientific research is oversimplification, which can lead to inaccurate or incomplete conclusions. It is also important to consider the context and potential limitations of simplifying complex ideas. Additionally, some concepts may be inherently complex and cannot be simplified without losing important information.

How can scientists determine when simplification is appropriate in their research?

Scientists can determine when simplification is appropriate in their research by considering their audience, the purpose of their research, and the complexity of the topic they are studying. They should also carefully evaluate the potential impact of simplifying their findings and ensure that it does not compromise the validity or accuracy of their research.