Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vibration of 2D surfaces

1. Apr 20, 2006 #1

I'm looking into the subject of "Chladni plates":
    For a lecture I'm supposed to prepare, and I'm looking for information on how exactly a two-dimensional surface vibrates under forced oscillations. It's no secret that the motion of a 1D string is governed by the simple wave equation. So which equation governs, for example, a thin square plate?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

This is more of a mathematics problem, so I recommend you look in mathematics books dealing with partial differential equation. In Mary Boas's text "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Science (2nd Ed)", she has a treatment on 2D vibrating circular membrane in Chapter 13 on PDE, giving you all those Bessel function solutions.

4. Apr 20, 2006 #3
    I have the 1982 version of "Fundamentals of Acoustics" by Kinsler, Coppens, Frey, and Sanders. The index reads:

5. Apr 20, 2006 #4
    Thank you both, I'll try looking at those books when I get the chance.
    If anyone knows of an online resource for this information, even if it's a bit simplified at first...

6. Apr 20, 2006 #5
    That would be the case for membranes, but not for thin plates (much like the difference between the vibration of strings and that of solid bars).
  7. Apr 20, 2006 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Chen, I just deleted my post after rereading the OP. Hadn't read your last post before I did that - sorry.
  8. Apr 20, 2006 #7

Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?