Vickers Hardness testing simulation on ANSYS

In summary, the user is trying to calculate residual stress on a coating which has been spared on to a substrate. They do not know the tangent modulus of the coating and are not sure how to add plasticity to the model.
Libin20
I have tried to simulate the Vickers hardness on a substrate with a coating on it. I am really struggling to get it to work as the deformation is far too big. I have added the pictures of my model. Is there anyone that can help me with this?

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 767
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 636
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 629
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    19.4 KB · Views: 660
Engineering news on Phys.org
If I had to guess the problem will be one of two things:
  1. The model is under-constrained, and the parts are "flying away," or
  2. The model doesn't have enough sub-steps during the solve, and so the contact surfaces pass right through each other
I see a fixed support in your model, I assume this is for your "anvil" in which case it's possible under-constraint isn't an issue, so that leaves contact conditions which is a common problem for new ANSYS users.

Let's try my standard response for any user with a contact condition problem and see if it works:
Mech_Engineer said:
You don't mention what version of ANSYS you're using, but in any case you'll need to make sure you've got your settings right. Contact conditions are a pretty complicated topic, but in general here is some of the feedback I give every time. It's possible you don't need contact conditions at all; unless you expect to see a lot of movement at the bolts and washers I would seriously recommend you consider bonding them using a multi-body solid. Alternatively, consider deleting your washers altogether and then use a contact condition with just your bolts.

Contact condition guidelines:
  1. Pay close attention to your mesh density in the contact conditions. The mesh should be of similar size on both sides of the contact, you can use a "contact condition mesh refinement" to make sure this happens. I'd also recommend using hex-dominant mesh where possible, tetrahedrons tend to make for rougher stress gradients.
  2. Make sure you use an "Augmented Lagrange" formulation for the contacts between the components. This formulation tends to work best for me in most conditions.
  3. As a start, make the contact condition between the parts frictionless. Once you get it to converge, then you can think about considering friction.
  4. Make sure your contact condition forces update every substep, and split your problem into MANY substeps (on the order of 100).
Try this out and see what happens.

I also notice your mesh doesn't look very well optimized especially on the anvil. It's very dense on top out to the edges far away from the contact area; this will make your problem take a lot longer to solve. I'd recommend the following mesh settings:
  1. Split your anvil geometry close to the contact condition so that you can set multiple mesh densities across the part; this will allow you to have a dense mesh near the contact without increasing the mesh density everywhere.
  2. Use a multi-body solid when you split your geometry so you don't have extra contact conditions where they aren't needed
  3. Use a hex-dominant meshing method where possible for better geometry coverage with fewer elements
  4. Consider using a much lower density mesh until you can get your contact conditions to converge, then consider increasing density where appropriate
Good luck.

I want to calculate the residual stress on a coating which has been spared on to a substrate. However, the only parameter I know about the coating is the young modulus, v and yield strength. I do not know the tangent modulus of the coating and I'm not sure how to add plasticity to the model. Is there anyone that can help?

(Mentor Note -- Two threads on the same question merged into one thread)

Libin20 said:
I want to calculate the residual stress on a coating which has been spared on to a substrate. However, the only parameter I know about the coating is the young modulus, v and yield strength. I do not know the tangent modulus of the coating and I'm not sure how to add plasticity to the model. Is there anyone that can help?
I'm getting the feeling you're over-thinking this; calculating residual stress should be pretty straightforward if you know the shrinkage of the coating after application.

Do you know any shrinkage factors associated with the coating? If so, getting a residual stress in ANSYS should be straightforward model.

1. What is Vickers Hardness testing?

Vickers Hardness testing is a method used to determine the hardness or resistance of a material to deformation by measuring the size of an indentation made by a diamond indenter. It is commonly used in materials science and engineering to evaluate the strength and durability of different materials.

2. How does ANSYS simulate Vickers Hardness testing?

ANSYS uses a finite element analysis approach to simulate Vickers Hardness testing. This involves dividing the material into small elements, applying a load to a diamond indenter, and calculating the resulting indentation depth and hardness using the material's properties and deformation behavior.

3. What are the benefits of using ANSYS for Vickers Hardness testing simulation?

ANSYS allows for a more accurate and efficient simulation of Vickers Hardness testing compared to traditional experimental methods. It also allows for testing of a wider range of materials and conditions, without the risk of damaging expensive equipment or materials.

4. What are the limitations of Vickers Hardness testing simulation on ANSYS?

The accuracy of the simulation depends on the quality of the material properties and boundary conditions used. In addition, ANSYS may not be able to fully capture the effects of thermal and microstructural changes that occur during the actual testing process.

5. How can Vickers Hardness testing simulation on ANSYS be used in material development and research?

Vickers Hardness testing simulation on ANSYS can be used to assess the performance of different materials under various loading conditions, helping researchers and engineers to optimize material properties and design more durable and reliable products. It can also be used to study the effects of different processing techniques or environmental factors on material behavior.