Video Image Processing: Algorithms for Motion Detection

In summary, a computer algorithm can determine if a person is moving their right arm or there feet, or if they are running or not.
btb4198
Is there a computer algorithm that can determine if a person it moving their right arm or there feet, or if they are running or not ?

Technology news on Phys.org
I guess there are programs that can determine it ( not algorithms ).

The only thing a camera/computer can see is an amount of pixels with different colors within a frame. You can make an algoritm that recognizes some patterns in the image, like an edge: Scanning the image horizontally and finding a sudden color change along a vertical line, it has found a vertical edge. In this way you can convert the image into a cartoon:
figur5.gif

There are a lot of ways to recognize a figure as a person. One way is to Fourier transform the outline of the figure, regarding the edges as a series of complex coordinates. The Fourier transform is a "finger print" of a person. Adding a tail to the right figure, the Fourier transform will change and become a finger print of a dog. The "smart" charasteristic is, that if you cancel the 1. harmonic of the right figure, you can rotate him and let him crawl uphill or downhill: He will still be recognized as a person because the angle doesn't matter when the 1. harmonic is missing.

So the idea is to sketch a lot of persons/dogs in various positions, make "finger prints" and tell the computer: this is a person and this is a dog. When the computer has such a look-up-table of finger prints and sees a person or dog, it can distinguish a dog/person by closest match.

To distisguish left/right arm is more complicated: Am I seeing the front or the back of a person?

Attachments

• ikon taendstikmand.jpg
    ikon taendstikmand.jpg
    1.2 KB · Views: 390
This is the type of things that neural networks will be good at. Computers are not great at this yet, there is a joke in computer science that highlights the differences between what computers and the brain are good at.

Boss: I need a program that takes the entire literary history of humanity, and maps out the use of pronouns throughout history.
Engineer: Sure, give me twenty minutes.

Boss: I need a program that tells me if this picture is of a dog.
Engineer: Sure, give me five years and a dozen research assistants.

newjerseyrunner said:
This is the type of things that neural networks will be good at.
Well, reducing 6 million pixels as inputs in a neural network, to say 200 harmonics will make it easier for the network to make a decision.

Often neural networks are trained by the "steepest chase" method. How will a neural network by itself find a steepest chase?
You are the one to configure groups of neurons and the network between them. Where will you start amongst 6 million pixels?

Yes, such algorithms exist and are present in commercial products -- such as Microsoft's XBox and Kinnect system. Note that neural networks can be used, but so are various forms of decision trees with Harr-like features and other techniques. You may want to find a general text on Computer Vision / Machine Vision as it is a very broad and active area of research and there are open source libraries like OpenCV that may interest you. There are even javascript implementations of some algorithms like face detection -- see trackingjs.com

Related to Video Image Processing: Algorithms for Motion Detection

1. What is video image processing?

Video image processing is the use of algorithms and techniques to analyze and manipulate video images in order to extract meaningful information and improve image quality.

2. What are the main applications of video image processing?

Video image processing has a wide range of applications, including motion detection and tracking, object recognition, video surveillance, medical imaging, and video compression.

3. How do motion detection algorithms work?

Motion detection algorithms work by comparing consecutive frames of a video and identifying areas where there is a change in pixel values. These changes are then analyzed and classified as either motion or background.

4. What are the benefits of using motion detection algorithms?

Motion detection algorithms can be used in video surveillance systems to detect and track moving objects, which can improve the accuracy and efficiency of security monitoring. They can also be used to reduce the amount of data in video compression, resulting in smaller file sizes without sacrificing image quality.

5. What are some common challenges in video image processing?

Some common challenges in video image processing include dealing with noise and poor lighting conditions, accurately detecting and tracking objects in complex scenes, and processing large amounts of data in real-time.