Violation of L'Hopital's Rule in Simplifying Rational Functions

• Thread starter thomas49th
  • Start date
In summary, to find the residue of a function at a given point, you use the Laurent series for the function and divide by z.
Physics news on Phys.org
No, the L'Hopital applies only if both g(z) and f(z) go to zero or infinity. In this case downstairs does not.

so your saying I shouldn't of used L'Hopital. How else should I of solved it?

Simple poles in this form have a very easy way to calculate the residue. Consider f(z)/z. Suppose f(z) is holomorphic at z=0 (note f(z) might be, for example/ 1/(1+z), so you CAN write your problem in this form).

Then the Laurent series for f(z)/z is
[tex] f(0)/z+ f'(0) + f''(0) z /2 +...[/tex]

just taking the Taylor series for f(z) and dividing it by z. Is it clear now what the residue is?

thomas49th said:

Homework Statement

http://gyazo.com/f3161ad1a64909e84c2e033b442d7be1

I take it LHoptial is used to get

(2z+i/3)/(18z)

plugging -i/3 gives 1/18

But isn't this a violation of L'Hopital as
g'(z) does equal 0 is z is 0?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L'Hôpital's_rule
L'Hôpital's rule is perfectly valid here. The function f(z) has two poles, one at i/3 and the other at -i/3. Looking at the latter (your example), we need to calculate
[tex]\lim_{z\rightarrow -i/3} (z+i/3)f(z)
= \lim_{z\rightarrow -i/3}\frac{(z+i/3)z}{9z^2+1}
= \lim_{z\rightarrow -i/3}\frac{z^2+i/3\,z}{9z^2+1}[/tex]
At the limit we have something of the form 0/0, so L'Hopital's rule applies. Taking the derivatives of the numerator and denominator yields
[tex]\lim_{z\rightarrow -i/3} (z+i/3)f(z)
= \lim_{z\rightarrow -i/3}\frac{2z+i/3}{18z} = \frac 1 {18}[/tex]
At the limit, the numerator and denominator are -i/3 and -18i/3, respectively, so the residue is 1/18.

The same analysis works for the other pole as well.

thomas49th said:

Homework Statement

http://gyazo.com/f3161ad1a64909e84c2e033b442d7be1

I take it LHoptial is used to get

(2z+i/3)/(18z)

plugging -i/3 gives 1/18

But isn't this a violation of L'Hopital as
g'(z) does equal 0 is z is 0?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L'Hôpital's_rule

If we have a function of the form [tex] F(z) = \frac{f(z)}{(z-a) g(z)} [/tex] with [itex] g(a) \neq 0, [/itex] the residue of F at a is just [tex] \text{Res}(F)(a) = \frac{f(a)}{g(a)}. [/tex] There is no need to use L'Hospital's rule here, because the work performed by the rule has already been done. Here is what I mean: you could define [itex] \text{Res}(F)(a) = \lim_{z \rightarrow a} (z-a) F(z).[/itex] If you do that, notice that we have
[tex] (z-a) F(z) = (z-a) \frac{f(z)}{(z-a)g(z)} = \frac{f(z)}{g(z)}, [/tex] which has a perfectly nice limit equal to [itex] f(a)/g(a),[/itex] with no need to use L'Hospital.

In fact, you are looking at the problem backwards: the whole point of L'Hospital is to "discover" the powers m and n (if any) in the expression [tex] \frac{N(z)}{D(z)} =
\frac{(z-a)^n u(z)}{(z-a)^m v(z)}, \text{ where } v(a) \neq 0.[/tex] In the current problem you don't need to do that, because it has already been done for you.

RGV

Ok, thanks. I understand, haven't looked at the Laurent series in detail but looks it looks ok.
While we are on the subject of limits I have got

[tex]Lim_{z \rightarrow ia} \frac{(z-ia)}{(z^2 + a^2)(z^2+b^2)}e^{imz}[/tex]

Is there a quick way to find it's residue without multiplying out then taking the derivative of upstairs and downstairs until something happens?

edit: what is with this new itex. Itallic tex?

Last edited:
thomas49th said:
Ok, thanks. I understand, haven't looked at the Laurent series in detail but looks it looks ok.
While we are on the subject of limits I have got

[tex]Lim_{z \rightarrow ia} \frac{(z-ia)}{(z^2 + a^2)(z^2+b^2)}e^{imz}[/tex]

Is there a quick way to find it's residue without multiplying out then taking the derivative of upstairs and downstairs until something happens?

edit: what is with this new itex. Itallic tex?

Your expression looks OK to me, but maybe you don't like [itex] Lim, [/itex] and would rather have [itex] \lim [/itex] instead? If so, write "\lim" to override the math italics (same as saying "\exp" instead of "exp", "\sin" instead of "sin", etc.)

Anyway, you can write [itex] z^2 + a^2 = (z - ia)(z + ia), [/itex] then cancel out the [itex] (z - ia)[/itex] factor in both the numerator and denominator. You can just put z = ia in what is left. So, basically, you can just write down the answer with hardly any work at all.

RGV

Thanks, I didn't spot that :)

1. What is the rule of L'Hopital?

The rule of L'Hopital, also known as L'Hopital's rule, is a mathematical technique used to evaluate limits of functions that result in an indeterminate form, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞. It states that the limit of the ratio of two functions that both approach 0 or infinity can be evaluated by taking the limit of the ratio of their derivatives.

2. When should L'Hopital's rule be used?

L'Hopital's rule should only be used when evaluating limits of functions that result in an indeterminate form, as mentioned above. It is not applicable to all limits and should only be used when other algebraic or numerical methods fail to give a definite answer.

3. What are the conditions for applying L'Hopital's rule?

In order to apply L'Hopital's rule, the functions involved must be differentiable and the limit must be in an indeterminate form. Additionally, the limits of the derivatives of the two functions must exist and not approach infinity or negative infinity.

4. Can L'Hopital's rule be used for limits at infinity?

Yes, L'Hopital's rule can be used for limits at infinity, as long as the limit results in an indeterminate form. In this case, the limit is evaluated as the ratio of the derivatives of the functions as x approaches infinity.

5. What are some common mistakes made when applying L'Hopital's rule?

One common mistake is to apply L'Hopital's rule when the limit is not in an indeterminate form. Another mistake is to apply it multiple times, even though the limit can be solved using other methods. It is also important to make sure that the derivatives of the functions in the ratio are correctly calculated.