Quotient rule + simplifying the result

It doesn't look right.In summary, the conversation discusses differentiating a function using the quotient rule and how to simplify the resulting equation. The correct steps for differentiating the function are outlined and the importance of using fractional exponents instead of mixed radicals is emphasized. The importance of checking work by simplifying the function first is also mentioned.
BOAS

Homework Statement

Hello,

I have an answer to my question but I'm not sure if I've simplified it correctly or if it can boil down further.

differentiate;

y = [itex]\frac{z^{3}-z}{\sqrt{z}}[/itex]

Homework Equations

Quotient rule

The Attempt at a Solution

let u = z3 - z
let v = z1/2

du/dx = 3z2 - 1

dv/dx = 1/2 z-1/2

dy/dx = [itex]\frac{z^{1/2}(3z^{2}-1) - (z^{3}-z)1/2z^{-1/2}}{(z^{1/2})^{2}}[/itex]

dy/dx = [itex]\frac{((3z^{2})(z^{1/2}) - z^{1/2}) - (z^{3})(1/2z^{-1/2})-z(z^{-1/2})}{z}[/itex]

dy/dx = [itex]\frac{(3z^{5/2} - z^{1/2}) - (1/2z^{5/2} - z^{1/2})}{z}[/itex]

dy/dx = [itex]\frac{5/2 z^{5/2}}{z}[/itex]

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
BOAS said:

Homework Statement

Hello,

I have an answer to my question but I'm not sure if I've simplified it correctly or if it can boil down further.

differentiate;

y = [itex]\frac{z^{3}-z}{\sqrt{z}}[/itex]

Homework Equations

Quotient rule

The Attempt at a Solution

let u = z3 - z
let v = z1/2

du/dx = 3z2 - 1

dv/dx = 1/2 z-1/2

dy/dx = [itex]\frac{z^{1/2}(3z^{2}-1) - (z^{3}-z)1/2z^{-1/2}}{(z^{1/2})^{2}}[/itex]

It isn't dy/dx you are calculating. It is dy/dz. After the above step, the next thing you should do is multiply both numerator and denominator by ##2\sqrt z##. That will make the remaining steps much easier.

dy/dx = [itex]\frac{((3z^{2})(z^{1/2}) - z^{1/2}) - (z^{3})(1/2z^{-1/2})-z(z^{-1/2})}{z}[/itex]

dy/dx = [itex]\frac{(3z^{5/2} - z^{1/2}) - (1/2z^{5/2} - z^{1/2})}{z}[/itex]

dy/dx = [itex]\frac{5/2 z^{5/2}}{z}[/itex]

Thanks!

Your final answer is neither simplified nor correct.

LCKurtz said:
It isn't dy/dx you are calculating. It is dy/dz.

Woops, Thanks for catching that.

After the above step, the next thing you should do is multiply both numerator and denominator by ##2\sqrt z##. That will make the remaining steps much easier.

Well, you've identified a weak spot for me. Surds.

I'm struggling with the top line, I think the bottom line looks like this;

dy/dz = [itex]\frac{2\sqrt{z}(z^{1/2}(3z^{2}-1) - 1/2z^{-1/2}(z^{3} - z))}{z^{2}}[/itex]

For the top line, do I need to multiply 2√z into the bits outside the innermost brackets?

BOAS said:

dy/dz = [itex]\frac{2\sqrt{z}(z^{1/2}(3z^{2}-1) - 1/2z^{-1/2}(z^{3} - z))}{z^{2}}[/itex]

For the top line, do I need to multiply 2√z into the bits outside the innermost brackets?

It's probably simpler to do the operations that are in the outer-most set of parentheses, and combine like terms. Then you can multiply what's left by 2√z.

It's also better to work with fractional exponents here than with radicals. √z is the same as z1/2. You'll confuse yourself if you have expressions with mixed radicals and exponents.

For this problem, it's easy to check your work by simplifying the function first, and then differentiating. You should get the same answer whether you use the quotient rule or some other rule.

In this case, y = ##\frac{z^3 - z}{z^{1/2}} = z^{5/2} - z^{1/2}##. From this it's simple to get dy/dz.

BOAS said:

You need to distribute the ##2\sqrt z## across both terms in the outer red parentheses$$
dy/dz = \frac{2\sqrt{z}\color{red}(z^{1/2}(3z^{2}-1) -
\color{red}(1/2\color{red})z^{-1/2}(z^{3} - z)\color{red})}{z^{2}}$$That will give you a ##2z## factor in the first term and will cancel the ##\frac 1 2 z^{-\frac 1 2}## in the second term of the numerator. Also check your exponent in the denominator.

FAQ: Quotient rule + simplifying the result

1. What is the quotient rule?

The quotient rule is a formula used in calculus to find the derivative of a quotient of two functions. It states that the derivative of f(x)/g(x) is equal to (g(x)*f'(x) - f(x)*g'(x)) / (g(x))^2.

2. Why is the quotient rule important?

The quotient rule is important because it allows us to find the derivative of a quotient of functions, which is a common occurrence in calculus. It also helps us to simplify complicated expressions and solve problems involving rates of change.

3. How do you apply the quotient rule?

To apply the quotient rule, first identify the two functions in the quotient. Then, use the formula to find the derivative of the quotient. Finally, simplify the result using algebraic techniques.

4. Can the quotient rule be used to simplify the result of a derivative?

Yes, the quotient rule can be used to simplify the result of a derivative. By simplifying the result, we can often make the expression easier to work with and find more meaningful information about the function.

5. Are there any common mistakes when using the quotient rule?

Yes, there are a few common mistakes when using the quotient rule. These include forgetting to use the negative sign when taking the derivative of the denominator, incorrectly applying the power rule, and forgetting to simplify the result after finding the derivative.