Virtual particle and event horizon

In summary, according to Hippy, the universe gains energy when any antiparticle annihilates, and this is because the black hole is not part of the universe.
Mean-Hippy
Was wondering: In Hawkins's " Univers in a nutshell" book, he talks about the behavior ov virtual particle pairs around the event horizon of a black hole. My understanding is that one of the antiparticle of the pair can be absorbed by the black hole. This makes for the release of the particle ( which is then sort-of materialized out of "nothing" ) into space and for the black hole loosing some mass from the absorbtion of anti-matter particle. If my understanding is correct, what I am really curious about in this case is: Would it always be the anti-particle that gets sucked in the black-hole and if so then WHY ?
Also, what type of particle are we talkin about ? I figure you can have virtual anything but which one is it in space ??
Very much apreciate any input on this , Thank you !

Hippy :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
The rates of absorption of particles and antiparticles would be equal, it's just a random happenstance which one has the component of momentum toward the horizon. But if the surviving particle is an antiparticle, it wil quickly annihilate with all the regular matter that accumulates near a black hole, producing photons. I believe there are proposals to try to detect these photons, which would have a characteristc spectrum, e.g. 1022 eV for electron pair annihilation.

Not my field of expertise this (what is!), but isn't the photon its own anti-particle? So when 'virtual pairs' of photons appear either side of the event horizon, the one that suddenly appears outside, is just a photon - ie not an anti-matter particle. The energy this photon has comes from the mass of the black hole.

SelfAdjoints description of anti-particle annhilations above is of course the solution to your original question about why you don't see antiparticles being emmitted.

I am also confused. Rereading Gribbin on this he quotes Hawking saying that the Universe as a whole gains energy from the black hole itself when any antiparticle annihilates. How is this possible if the black hole is, technically, not a part of the universe, at least that part beyond the event horizon. I cannot understand why both the universe at large and the black hole both do not gain mass/energy. Is Hawking saying that this is a (statistical) event brought about by the decreasing density of the Universe due to its expansion. Is this where he gets the idea that omega must be 1 plus a (tiny) bit, because, if so, he seemms to be trying to have it both ways. Going back to read Penrose and Davies.

1. What are virtual particles?

Virtual particles are hypothetical particles that can spontaneously appear and disappear in the vacuum of space. They are considered to be fluctuations in energy that have a very short lifespan and cannot be directly observed.

2. How are virtual particles related to event horizons?

Virtual particles are often used in theoretical models to explain the behavior of particles near event horizons. These particles can affect the gravitational pull near an event horizon and play a role in the phenomenon of Hawking radiation.

3. Can virtual particles escape from an event horizon?

No, virtual particles cannot escape from an event horizon. They are constantly being created and destroyed near the event horizon, but they cannot cross it and become real particles.

4. What is the significance of virtual particles and event horizons in black hole physics?

Virtual particles and event horizons are crucial concepts in understanding the behavior and properties of black holes. They play a role in the emission of Hawking radiation and the information paradox, which are important areas of research in black hole physics.

5. How do virtual particles contribute to the study of quantum mechanics?

Virtual particles are an important aspect of quantum mechanics because they demonstrate the uncertainty and probabilistic nature of the quantum world. They also play a role in the concept of quantum tunneling, which is essential in understanding various phenomena in physics.