Exploring the Existence and Energy of Virtual Particles in Quantum Mechanics

In summary, the uncertainty principle does not predict the existence of virtual particles in the vacuum. There is no specific amount of energy that exists in a given area of the vacuum, and quantum mechanics does not provide an explanation for this. Additionally, current theories do not fully incorporate gravity into the quantum framework.
sirios
Hello everyone, I am here today with a doubt, I first apologize for my ignorance on the subject, but come on, the uncertainty principle predicts that in the "vacuum" there are virtual particle that cancels out constantly, but my question is: which is the amount of energy that exists in this vacuum in 1 cm ^ 2? the second question, and simpler: why does it happen? or quantum mechanics can not explain, again sorry for my ignorance.

Physics news on Phys.org
sirios said:
the uncertainty principle predicts that in the "vacuum" there are virtual particle that cancels out constantly
No it does not. Virtual particles do not exist. See phind's links for details.
sirios said:
which is the amount of energy that exists in this vacuum in 1 cm ^ 2?
1 cm3? Quantum mechanics doesn't make a prediction for that, it doesn't matter in quantum mechanics either (because absolute energy values are meaningless, only differences are important). This changes if you want to include gravity, but we don't have a full quantum theory of gravity.

Likes bhobba and sirios

1. What are virtual particles in quantum mechanics?

Virtual particles are particles that are not directly observable in the physical world. They exist only as mathematical concepts or fluctuations in energy in a vacuum. They are described by quantum field theory and play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of subatomic particles and the fundamental forces of nature.

2. How do virtual particles come into existence?

In quantum mechanics, particles and antiparticles can spontaneously appear and disappear in pairs due to the uncertainty principle. These virtual particles are constantly fluctuating in and out of existence, and their presence affects the behavior of particles and the interactions between them.

3. What is the energy of virtual particles?

Virtual particles do not have a fixed energy, as they are constantly appearing and disappearing. However, they have a minimum amount of energy required for their creation, known as the zero-point energy. This energy is an intrinsic property of a vacuum and is essential for the functioning of quantum field theories.

4. How are virtual particles related to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that the position and momentum of a particle cannot be known simultaneously. This uncertainty allows for the spontaneous creation of virtual particle-antiparticle pairs, as long as their combined energy and duration are within certain limits. Therefore, the existence of virtual particles is a direct consequence of the uncertainty principle.

5. Can virtual particles be detected or observed?

No, virtual particles cannot be directly detected or observed. They do not have enough time to interact with other particles before disappearing, and their effects can only be seen through their influence on the behavior of particles and the fundamental forces of nature. However, their existence has been indirectly confirmed through various experiments and calculations in quantum mechanics.