Viscoty and Surface tension -- depends on the composition of the atmosphere?

In summary, the surface tension of a fluid is not reliant on the composition of the atmosphere or the material of the vessel it is flowing through. The main factor affecting surface tension is the pressure of the gas at the gas-liquid interface. Similarly, the viscosity of a fluid is not affected by the composition of the hose it flows in, but rather by the velocity of the fluid at the wall. There may be minor influences from external factors, but they are deemed negligible in practical engineering applications.
Zohar
why isn't Surface tension reliant on the composion of the atm?
For an instance; If you place a glass of water in a room with regular atmosphere or you place it in a room filled with other gasses. The coefficient of surface tension of the fluid will change? Maybe?

why isn't viscoty of a fluid reliant up on the the composition of the hose it flows in?
For an instance; blood flows in a vessel or blood flows in an aluminium hose. The velocity won't change?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

This is not my area, but from a quick Google search, it looks like the main affect would be due to the pressure of the gas at the gas-liquid interface, not so much the composition of the gas. This looks like a good article:

http://www1.lsbu.ac.uk/water/physical_anomalies.html#ST

1586121935955.png

Also paging @Chestermiller :smile:

Zohar said:
Summary:: why isn't Surface tension reliant on the composion of the atm?
why isn't viscoty of a fluid reliant up on the the composition of the hose it flows in?

For an instance; If you place a glass of water in a room with regular atmosphere or you place it in a room filled with other gasses. The coefficient of surface tension of the fluid will change? Maybe?
Why do you think it would?

For an instance; blood flows in a vessel or blood flows in an aluminium hose. The velocity won't change?
Why do you think the viscosity of a liquid would be affected by the vessel that it is flowing through?

Likes etotheipi and berkeman
I think maybe if you change composion of air. The water will have diffrent attraction with the molecules of the gas the surface tension will change. Likewise the viscoty, when blood flows in a vessel it has some little attraction with it, and if you change the material it's flowing in, it maybe cause a change of velocity.

Last edited:
Zohar said:

Replace the 'atmosphere' with another fluid, more dense than air, laying on top - say oil floating on water. The interaction between molecules at the interface will be of a similar order to the internal interactions. ('Pour oil on troubled waters'?) . That will definitely affect the surface of the water and the formation of ripples and breaking waves so that's an obvious example of where the surface tension is reliant.

Likes sysprog
Zohar said:
I think maybe if you change composion of air. The water will have diffrent attraction with the molecules of the gas the surface tension will change. Likewise the viscoty, when blood flows in a vessel it has some little attraction with it, and if you change the material it's flowing in, it maybe cause a change of velocity.
Experimental evidence indicates that this is not significant. The velocity of the fluid at the wall is, of course, zero (non-slip boundary condition).

Likes sysprog
M
Chestermiller said:
Experimental evidence indicates that this is not significant. The velocity of the fluid at the wall is, of course, zero (non-slip boundary condition).
Not significant is obviously not the same as nonexistent -- it's not really quite non-slip -- it's almost non-slip -- and once again I'd like to be fussy about linguistic abuse of the term 'zero' -- to me, at least, negligibly greater than zero is not the same as zero, and I think that we shouldn't just complacently call a minuscule non-zero quantity zero, even if it's convenient to do so,

sysprog said:
M

Not significant is obviously not the same as nonexistent
As an engineer with extensive experience in solving real-world fluid dynamics systems, to me it is.

Likes sysprog
Chestermiller said:
As an engineer with extensive experience in solving real-world fluid dynamics systems, to me it is.
I understand well that some engineers, if it helps to get real world problems solved, aren't shy about using linguistic shortcuts in their descriptions of what's going on.

sysprog said:
I understand well that some engineers, if it helps to get real world problems solved, aren't shy about using linguistic shortcuts in their descriptions of what's going on.
Would you also include the effect of the gravitational pull of Jupiter's moons on the fluid flow behavior? It certainly is not exactly zero either.

Chestermiller said:
Would you also include the effect of the gravitational pull of Jupiter's moons on the fluid flow behavior? It certainly is not exactly zero either.
Yes, I would indeed -- I tend to be rather more loquacious than terse. Here's a link to some work of my favorite fluid dynamics person: https://www.researchgate.net/scientific-contributions/2058879443_Qin_Yang. She's nice.

Stepping around the dispute about the difference between 'negligible' and zero - to the OP:

The atmosphere can have an impact on the surface tension of the fluid because (for your proposed example, assuming equilibrium) the fluids are effectively different. The gas will dissolve into the water - that changes the fluid. Depending on the gas(es) you select for your 'alternative atmosphere', that change may be readily measurable.

Likes berkeman

1. What is viscosity and surface tension?

Viscosity refers to the resistance of a fluid to flow, while surface tension is the force that causes the surface of a liquid to behave like a thin elastic sheet.

2. How do the composition of the atmosphere affect viscosity and surface tension?

The composition of the atmosphere can affect viscosity and surface tension in several ways. For example, the presence of certain gases like carbon dioxide can increase the viscosity of a liquid, while the presence of water vapor can decrease surface tension.

3. Can changes in atmospheric composition impact the properties of liquids?

Yes, changes in atmospheric composition can have a significant impact on the properties of liquids. For instance, an increase in the concentration of pollutants in the atmosphere can lead to a decrease in surface tension, making it easier for substances to dissolve in water.

4. How does temperature affect viscosity and surface tension in different atmospheric conditions?

Temperature can have a significant impact on the viscosity and surface tension of liquids in different atmospheric conditions. For example, in colder temperatures, the viscosity of a liquid increases, while surface tension decreases. In warmer temperatures, the opposite occurs.

5. Are there any practical applications of understanding the relationship between atmospheric composition and viscosity/surface tension?

Yes, understanding the relationship between atmospheric composition and viscosity/surface tension is crucial in various industries. For instance, in the oil and gas industry, knowledge of how atmospheric conditions can affect the properties of liquids is essential in drilling and refining processes. It also has applications in fields such as meteorology, oceanography, and environmental science.