Visualising singular cohomology using cap product.

• Thread starter Jamma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Product
In summary, the conversation discussed the use of the cap product and singular cohomology in proving Poincare Duality on a closed n-manifold. The process involves taking the cap product of the fundamental homology class of a manifold, which results in an isomorphism from the i'th singular cohomology group to the (n-i)'th homology group. The conversation also touched on finding a description of the fundamental cochain class for the circle, with the goal of showing that it has a coboundary of zero. However, it was acknowledged that a simple description may not be available and the fact that this class exists is fascinating.
Jamma
Hello all,

I'm trying to get my head around the cap product and singular cohomology. I've always found singular cochains rather hard to visualise (e.g. what is the fundamental cochain of a manifold? i.e. that chain which generates the Z in the top cohomology group), and I've found looking at the cap product similtaneously helpful but also confusing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cap_product

To prove Poincare Duality on a closed n-manifold, one can show that taking the cap product of the fundamental homology class of a manifold gives you an isomorphism from the i'th singular cohomology group to the (n-i)'th homology group.

I've tried to put this into action to find a description of the fundamental cochain class of the easiest example, the circle.

To start, I can take as my fundamental homology class a loop with winding number 1 which starts and ends at the same point. The cap product of a 1-chain and a 1-cochain is the 0-chain in the image at the start of the line segment given by the 1-chain, with coefficient given by the cochain evaluating on that 1-chain. So I'd better make sure that my fundamental cochain eats such chains and spits out the value 1.

But I also need the right answer for all other possible fundamental classes, built from more than one segment, all joined up with winding number 1.

Can anyone see how to continue? For example, I know that taking a 2 part segment going around the circle, my chain will need to return on one of the segments n and the other n-1 (there is already choice, and more importantly, some break of symmetry!). This means that if I have a fundamental class of 3 segments containing the chain which my cochain eats and returns n, it will need to return n-1 on the sum of the other two segments.

Of course, I'd need to actually show that my cochain not only returns the right 0-chain, but has coboundary zero. I'd be happy for now though that it just satisfied the property I want (which might the coboundary condition anyway?) I'm starting to think that no simple description is actually available, we just know that this class exists, which is quite fascinating in itself given that the cochain simply describes the fundamental class of a circle!

Physics news on Phys.org
cf. the above with the simple description of the generator of the zeroeth cohomology group for a path connected space - the 0-cochain assigning the value 1 to each 0-chain. It is easy to see that capping with this class will just be the identity, as desired.

1. What is singular cohomology and how is it visualized using cap product?

Singular cohomology is a mathematical concept used in algebraic topology to study the topological properties of a space. It is a method of assigning algebraic objects, called cohomology groups, to a topological space. The cap product is a multiplication operation used to combine elements from different cohomology groups, providing a way to visualize and understand the relationship between these groups.

2. How is cap product used in studying singular cohomology?

The cap product is used to define a map between different cohomology groups, called the cup product. This map is an important tool in studying singular cohomology as it allows for calculations of cohomology groups for more complicated spaces by breaking them down into smaller, simpler pieces.

3. Can you explain the geometric interpretation of the cap product?

The cap product has a geometric interpretation as a way to intersect cycles (closed paths) and cochains (functions on these paths) in a space. This intersection provides a way to understand the relationship between the cycles and cochains and how they contribute to the cohomology of the space.

4. What are some applications of visualizing singular cohomology using cap product?

Understanding singular cohomology using cap product has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It can be used to study the topology of a space, classify different types of spaces, and solve differential equations. In physics, it is used to understand the behavior of particles and fields in different dimensions. In engineering, it can be used to analyze and design complex systems and networks.

5. Are there any limitations to visualizing singular cohomology using cap product?

While the cap product is a useful tool in understanding singular cohomology, it does have limitations. It may not always be easy to calculate and can become more complicated in higher dimensions. Also, it does not provide a complete understanding of the topology of a space, as there are other algebraic methods that can be used in conjunction with the cap product to gain a more complete understanding.