Visualization of Integration by Parts

In summary, the visualization of integration by parts is a way to visualize the mathematical process of integrating a function. It is shorthand for writing out the equation: x\cdot y(x) = x_{2}y_{2}-x_{1}y_{1}
Lancelot1
Hello all,

I am trying to understand the rational behind the visualization of integration by parts, however I struggle with it a wee bit.

I was trying to read about it in Wiki, this is what I found:

View attachment 7307View attachment 7308

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In general I don't understand why this visualization was chosen, but to be more specific on the details, I don't understand why

\[x_{2}y_{2}-x_{1}y_{1}=xy\]

I also don't understand how can one claim an integral to be the area on the left and not under the curve.

I would appreciate it if you guys could explain this to me. I understand how to use integration by parts, I also understand the proof (although wasn't sure: can you always say that an integral of derivative of some function is the function?). I mainly don't get the visualization, and really want to.

Thank you in advance !

Attachments

• IBP.PNG
    IBP.PNG
    9 KB · Views: 70
  • IBP2.PNG
    IBP2.PNG
    19.2 KB · Views: 69
Physics news on Phys.org
Lancelot said:
In general I don't understand why this visualization was chosen, but to be more specific on the details, I don't understand why

\[x_{2}y_{2}-x_{1}y_{1}=xy\]

Hey Lancelot! (Wave)

It's really a shorthand for:
\[ x\cdot y(x)\Big|_{x_1}^{x_2} = x_{2}y_{2}-x_{1}y_{1} \]
or alternatively
\[ x(y)\cdot y\Big|_{y_1}^{y_2} = x_{2}y_{2}-x_{1}y_{1} \]
dependending on whether we see y as a function of x, or x as a function of y.

Lancelot said:
I also don't understand how can one claim an integral to be the area on the left and not under the curve.

I would appreciate it if you guys could explain this to me. I understand how to use integration by parts, I also understand the proof (although wasn't sure: can you always say that an integral of derivative of some function is the function?). I mainly don't get the visualization, and really want to.

Remember that it's a visualization.
It means that we can play around a bit with where we put an area, rotating it, or reflecting it, as we see fit.
The blue area does respond to the integral 'under' the graph - just with respect to the y-axis.
Note that the integral is with respect to y instead of with respect to x.
So we must consider the y-axis to be horizontal (consider the reflection in the line y=x that will make it so).
After that the area is indeed under the graph.

Thank you.

This is difficult. How come you can just change xy(x) to xy ? Just like that ?

I see your point, it makes sense, I just struggle to understand when can I use shortcuts like this.

Lancelot said:
Thank you.

I see your point, it makes sense, I just struggle to understand when can I use shortcuts like this.

It might be helpful to draw up a graph on paper, look at the area under the curve on the x-axis, and then (physically) rotate your paper and try do the same thing for the y-axis.

Lancelot said:
Thank you.

It's not really a shortcut -- it's a shorthand.

What makes it a bit confusing is that x and y both have 2 different meanings that are used interchangeably.
x is sometimes a function of y, and sometimes a free variable.
In math we'd normally make a distinction somehow, for instance by writing $\tilde x$ when we mean the function, and just $x$ for the free variable. Still, we can see and deduce the meaning from how the symbols are used.

When can we use shorthands like these?
Whenever we want to - just remember they are shorthands, and remember what they stand for.
In particular the partial integration theorem is a bit shorter, more readible, and more memorable if we write it like $\int udv=uv - \int vdu$.

1. What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a method used to find the integral of a product of two functions. It is a technique in calculus that is used to simplify the process of integration by breaking down a complex integral into simpler parts.

2. How is integration by parts visualized?

Integration by parts can be visualized as a rectangle with two sides representing the two functions being multiplied together. The area of this rectangle is equivalent to the integral of the product of the two functions.

3. What are the steps involved in integration by parts?

The steps involved in integration by parts are:

• Selecting the two functions to be integrated
  • Applying the formula for integration by parts
  • Simplifying the resulting integral
  • Solving for the unknown integral

4. When should integration by parts be used?

Integration by parts should be used when the integral of a product of two functions cannot be solved using other techniques such as substitution or partial fractions. It is also useful when the integral involves a product of a polynomial and a trigonometric function.

5. Can integration by parts be applied to definite integrals?

Yes, integration by parts can be applied to definite integrals. The resulting integral will have limits of integration that need to be evaluated after solving for the unknown integral.