Visualization of uncertainty principle [graphs]

In summary, the conversation was about finding graphs or other sources of visualizing the uncertainty principle using a Fourier transform and presenting it in MS Excel. The person had already done research in multiple languages but couldn't find any suitable graphs or visualizations. They then asked for advice on where to post their question and if anyone has higher "google skills". The conversation ended with them finding a simple example of using Fourier transform for visualization, but still looking for something more complex like bell curves.
moniqu3

Homework Statement

I'm looking for graphs or other sources of uncertainty principle visualization (I'm suppose to use a Fourier transform to solve it and present visualization in MS Excel... but one thing at a time).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Digged google in 3 languages. I get a lot of equations and theory but not even one graph or other visualization.

Sorry about grammar mistakes since it's not my first language.
P.S: Should I post it in Quantum Mechanics sub-forum ?
Thanks in advance for Your help .

Physics news on Phys.org
Edited slightly from wikipedia:
Heisenberg_gamma_ray_microscope.png

Above is Heisenberg's gamma-ray microscope for locating an electron (shown in blue). The incoming gamma ray (shown in green) is scattered by the electron up into the microscope's aperture angle θ. The scattered gamma-ray is shown in red. Classical optics shows that the electron position can be resolved only up to an uncertainty Δx that depends on θ and the wavelength λ of the incoming light.

Hope this helps.

Not exactly what I'm looking for but it will help too. Thanks
I still can't find any graph with Fourier transformation used to make visualization
@edit
Yay, I've found one :
http://www.ams.org/samplings/feature-column/fcarc-uncertainty
Very simple example but will work just fine.
Im looking for something more like this, bell curves.

Maybe someone have higher 'google skill' than me

Last edited:
This is sort of what you are looking for.

nj180726fig2.jpg

What do you want to apply the Fourier transform to, the bell shaped curve? A wave packet? Several delta functions?

Will you be using software? I didn't know Excel was used for this type of thing, which parts can it handle, integrating?

Thank you for your question. Visualization of the uncertainty principle can be a challenging task, as it involves understanding both the mathematical equations and their physical implications. However, there are some resources that can help with visualizing this concept.

One way to visualize the uncertainty principle is through the use of wave packets. A wave packet is a localized disturbance in a wave, and it can be used to represent a particle in quantum mechanics. The uncertainty principle states that the position and momentum of a particle cannot both be known with absolute certainty. This means that as the wave packet becomes more localized (representing a more precise measurement of position), the spread of possible momentum values increases, and vice versa.

You can use MS Excel to plot a wave packet, with position on the x-axis and amplitude on the y-axis. As you vary the width of the wave packet, you will see that the amplitude becomes more concentrated near the center (representing a more precise measurement of position), but the spread of possible momentum values increases.

Another way to visualize the uncertainty principle is through the use of Heisenberg's microscope. This thought experiment involves shining a light on a particle to measure its position, but the act of shining the light also affects the momentum of the particle. You can use MS Excel to create a graph showing the relationship between the position and momentum of the particle, and how they are affected by the measurement process.

In addition to these visualizations, you can also find some helpful graphs and animations online. For example, the University of Colorado Boulder has a website called "The Physics of the Universe" which has a section on the uncertainty principle with some visualizations and interactive simulations. You can also search for "uncertainty principle animations" on YouTube to find some helpful videos.

Overall, visualizing the uncertainty principle can be a challenging task, but with some creativity and the use of resources like MS Excel and online simulations, you can develop a better understanding of this important concept in quantum mechanics. I hope this helps and good luck with your project!

1. What is the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle, also known as Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that states that the position and momentum of a particle cannot be simultaneously measured with absolute precision. This means that the more accurately one quantity is measured, the less accurately the other can be measured.

2. How is the uncertainty principle visualized in graphs?

The uncertainty principle can be visualized in graphs by plotting the position and momentum of a particle on the same graph. This will result in a graph with a curved shape, known as the uncertainty ellipse or Heisenberg's uncertainty ellipse. The size of the ellipse represents the uncertainty in the measurement of the particle's position and momentum.

3. Can the uncertainty principle be violated?

No, the uncertainty principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics and has been experimentally verified numerous times. It is a fundamental aspect of the nature of particles and cannot be violated.

4. How does the uncertainty principle affect our understanding of the physical world?

The uncertainty principle has significant implications for our understanding of the physical world. It challenges the classical view of particles as having definite properties and instead highlights the probabilistic nature of particles at the quantum level. It also plays a crucial role in modern technologies such as computer memory and medical imaging.

5. Are there any exceptions to the uncertainty principle?

There are no known exceptions to the uncertainty principle. However, there are certain situations where the uncertainty can be reduced by using specialized techniques, such as quantum entanglement. But these techniques do not violate the uncertainty principle, they simply manipulate it in a controlled manner.