1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Visualization of uncertainty principle [graphs]

1. May 27, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm looking for graphs or other sources of uncertainty principle visualization (I'm suppose to use a Fourier transform to solve it and present visualization in MS Excel... but one thing at a time).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Digged google in 3 languages. I get a lot of equations and theory but not even one graph or other visualization.

Sorry about grammar mistakes since it's not my first language.
    P.S: Should I post it in Quantum Mechanics sub-forum ?
    Thanks in advance for Your help .

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2012 #2
    Edited slightly from wikipedia:
    Heisenberg_gamma_ray_microscope.png
    Above is Heisenberg's gamma-ray microscope for locating an electron (shown in blue). The incoming gamma ray (shown in green) is scattered by the electron up into the microscope's aperture angle θ. The scattered gamma-ray is shown in red. Classical optics shows that the electron position can be resolved only up to an uncertainty Δx that depends on θ and the wavelength λ of the incoming light.

Hope this helps.

4. May 28, 2012 #3
    Not exactly what I'm looking for but it will help too. Thanks
    I still can't find any graph with Fourier transformation used to make visualization
    @edit
    Yay, I've found one :
    http://www.ams.org/samplings/feature-column/fcarc-uncertainty
    Very simple example but will work just fine.
    Im looking for something more like this, bell curves.

Maybe someone have higher 'google skill' than me

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  5. May 28, 2012 #4
    This is sort of what you are looking for.

nj180726fig2.jpg

What do you want to apply the Fourier transform to, the bell shaped curve? A wave packet? Several delta functions?

Will you be using software? I didn't know Excel was used for this type of thing, which parts can it handle, integrating?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook