Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vitamin C

1. Jan 28, 2005 #1
    I just bought a pack of 12 427mL V8 Splash drinks. In one bottle, there is 400% of my recommended Vitman C intake. I have a bottle a day. Is this too much Vitamin C? What side effects can it have?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2005 #2
    I don't think vitamin C has any harmful side effects besides turning your pee pee yellow. But someone with more authority would be able to confirm or trash my opinion :)

K.

4. Jan 28, 2005 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't know about color changes, but Vit C is one of the water soluble vitamins, so anything over and above what your body needs will be excreted.

5. Jan 28, 2005 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What is the latest on taking huge doses of C? Has Pauling's claims been refuted? I haven't read up on this issue for many years.

btw Moonbear, Pauling was an OSU guy.
    http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/

6. Jan 28, 2005 #5
    Don't worry decamij, 400% rda (240 mg) vitamin C isn't harmful at all. I used to take up to 3g per day when I worked out regularly, that would be uhh 5000%! Plus I remember this discussion from a nutrition class I took and I've read about it several times. If anything you're benefiting from it.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2005
  7. Jan 28, 2005 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I just went digging a bit and haven't come up with much new literature on this. It seems the general consensus is as long as you're getting at least the RDA of Vit C (we can't synthesize our own, so need to get it from our diet or supplements), more than that seems neither helpful nor harmful.

I did come across a 2001 double-blind placebo-controlled study on the effect of mega doses of Vit C on cold duration and severity of symptoms (one of the most common things people are told to take Vit C to help), and they came up with no benefit of Vit C. Note, the "placebo" did include 30 mg of Vit C, which is about half the minimum daily required intake, intended to account for everyone getting some daily Vit C intake. The test was whether mega doses make a difference.

8. Feb 12, 2005 #7

eax

Just wondering, If I eat one lemon a day will I stay healthy? I heard vitamin C is bad for your liver. It may be, but if it is excreted, if too much is taken in then it doesn't really matter does it?

9. Feb 14, 2005 #8

ShawnD

Science Advisor

Too much vitamin C will give you diarrhea. I speak from experience....

10. Feb 14, 2005 #9

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Last I remembered, extremely high doses of vitamin C (5g or higher) taken over a period of several months can increase the risk of kidney stones. I have no idea where I read this, though, and I highly doubt any person ever takes in quite that much under anything even approaching normal circumstances.

Edit: It seems they actually have a page devoted to this at the Pauling Institute. The hypothesis seems to have been mostly deductive and experiments are inconclusive, but certainly there is no toxicity shown anywhere near normal intake levels, even 5000% of RDA. Here is the page.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?