Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vitamin Supplements

1. Aug 12, 2006 #1

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Alright, I'm confused about all of this.

I don't eat much dairy products and that's a problem because dairy products are high in Vitamin B12 (and Calcium of course).

So I went out to buy some Vitamin B12 to make up for it. I was planning on just taking about 20-30% of my daily needs through a pill and the rest through chicken.

I had two options to buy from... 100 mcg and 1000 mcg tablets. I took the 100's because I thought that'd be closer to the 20-30% target that I want.

I get home and search online how much is recommended per day based on a 2000 calorie diet. It says 2-3 mcg a day! I have 100 mcg tablets! Surely something must be wrong because who in their right mind would take this much... not to mention 1000 mcg tablets!

Am I missing something?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2006 #2
    Why not just drink milk instead of taking pills not approved by the government?

4. Aug 12, 2006 #3

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Tummy doesn't feel good after drinking milk.

5. Aug 12, 2006 #4
    My understanding in this area is very limited, but I think there's no problem with taking more than what you need if the vitamins are soluble in water. Those 1000 mcg tablets are probably for those who always think more is better so their manufacturer can make more money.

Edit: I don't know if vitamin B12 is soluble or not.

6. Aug 12, 2006 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Lactose intolerant? They have special milk for that.

7. Aug 12, 2006 #6
    You don't need vitamins unless you have:-

a) a really and I mean really poor diet

And that's it, vitamin C is not stored by humans in their livers although it's a genetic problem that exists in very few animals,so you might need it occasionally but unless your sailing the seven seas and worried about scurvy, the occasional bit of fruit will help you out.

Essentially vitamin/mineral tablets and your need for them is propaganda, don't buy them your wasting your money. Unless your very young, old or pregnant, and even then your diet will suffice if your careful.

Same with antioxidants, it's all nonsense, just eat sensibly and well, companies make a great deal of porfit out of fooling people that they need it.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2006
  8. Aug 12, 2006 #7

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

You'd be better off just getting a general purpose multi vitamin. The one I have (which I really don't take) has 100% RDA of most vitamins. I agree with Schrodinger though. I liked watching Covert Bailey's lectures. He is a huge advocate of getting all of your nutrition through food.

9. Aug 12, 2006 #8

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I eat very good overall. So, I don't think a multi-vitamin would be good.

I eat all kinds of vegetables from Spinach to Bean Sprouts. For fruits, I eat Apples, Oranges, and Bananas regularly with an odd fruit here and there (like Apricots, Peaches, Strawberries, etc...).

I guess I won't worry about it.

But seriously, who in their right mind would take that large of a dose.

10. Aug 12, 2006 #9

Astronuc

It would appear that 6 micrograms is the Daily Value for young adults, so 100 micrograms would be ~16 times that. Some people do take 'megadoses' which in some cases can be harmful.

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/vitaminb12.asp
    http://ods.od.nih.gov/Health_Information/Vitamin_and_Mineral_Supplement_Fact_sheets.aspx

One might want to break up those capsules.

As Evo mentioned there are alternative to dairy (cow's) milk -
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactose_intolerance#Alternative_products

http://www.silksoymilk.com/

11. Aug 12, 2006 #10

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'll look into lactose free yogurt or something.

I certainly don't want Soy Milk. I heard it releases estrogen. Not good for men.

12. Aug 12, 2006 #11

Astronuc

13. Aug 12, 2006 #12

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

We have Lactaid yogurt at our store and milk too.

I'm not severely lactose intolerant though. I can eat pizza without a problem. Drinking milk can be a problem though.

I bought cereal awhile ago because it was on sale and couldn't think of a way to eat it without milk. Hopefully, Lactaid milk tastes fine.

14. Aug 12, 2006 #13
    use chocolate milk instead?

15. Aug 12, 2006 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Soy milk only has sufficient calcium because it is fortified with it. You could also get the orange juice that is calcium fortified. I've never tried it, and some people have told me they think it tastes different than regular orange juice, but I don't know how much. One of my friends drank that while pregnant...she needed the extra calcium and also is a bit lactose intolerant, so couldn't get enough from dairy products. Some vegetables, like broccoli, are also rich in calcium.

For B12, if you eat meat, fish or eggs, you should be getting enough. It's usually only something to worry about in vegan diets. And, at least according to this site for vegetarians, even with a vegan diet, it can take a long time for a deficiency to develop.
    http://www.vegsoc.org/info/b12.html

16. Aug 12, 2006 #15

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I drink Calcium fortified Orange Juice. Taste the same to me.

I eat eggs everyday pretty much so that's good.

17. Aug 13, 2006 #16

Pythagorean

Gold Member

naw, screw all that, I'm lactose intolerant and I still drink milk. Just let 'em rip, man.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?