How is a flat coil polarized in comparison to a linear coil?

In summary, the conversation discusses the polarization of flat coils and whether they would be polarized from the inside to the outside or from top to bottom. It is suggested that each segment of the coil has a solenoid field which adds or cancels to form a net circulating field similar to a short, axially magnetized magnet. The Bunting Magnetics website has a field calculator that can help visualize this field. However, it is later mentioned that the calculator is actually located on the K&J Magnetics website. The conversation also touches on the strength of the magnetic force at the center of a flat voice coil.
Vengeance187
I know that a linear voice coil is polarized from top to bottom, but how is a flat coil polarized? Would a flat coil be polarized from the inside to the outside? Where the inside(blue) is one pole and the outside(red) is the other? If you were to do multiple windings(stacked layers) would it stay polarized that way, or would it start to become polarized from top to bottom since it would start to resemble a linear coil?
I can't find any info on flat coil windings.
Thanks.
flat-coil.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
Think of each tiny segment of coil as having a solenoid field which follows the right-hand rule, and after a bit it becomes apparent that all the solenoids are adding / cancelling to form a net circulating field similar to that of a short, axially magnetized magnet. Bunting magnetics has a field calculator that can help envision such a field.

- Mike

Likes berkeman
Eeek! I made a mistake. Well, a lot of them, but the one in question regards the magnetic field calculator. It's at K&J magnetics.

Sorry for any time I may have wasted...

So it's still just axially magnetized? I made a crude flat voice coil(round magnet wire doesn't like to stay put) and couldn't get it to attract/repel a neodymium magnet at the center of it. It would only attract/repel towards the ends of it, like a linear voice coil, so I incorrectly figured that's where the poles were. If the pole is at the face, why wouldn't it have the strongest force at the center of it?
Thanks.

1. What is voice coil polarization?

Voice coil polarization refers to the process of creating a magnetic field in the voice coil of a speaker, which allows it to interact with the permanent magnet in order to produce sound.

2. How does voice coil polarization work?

The voice coil is made up of a wire wound around a former, which is suspended within a permanent magnet. When an audio signal is sent to the voice coil, it creates an electromagnetic field that interacts with the permanent magnet, causing the voice coil to move and produce sound.

3. Why is voice coil polarization important in speakers?

Voice coil polarization is crucial in speakers because it is what allows them to convert electrical signals into sound waves. Without this process, speakers would not be able to function and produce sound.

4. Is voice coil polarization the same as speaker impedance?

No, voice coil polarization and speaker impedance are two different concepts. Speaker impedance refers to the electrical resistance of the speaker, whereas voice coil polarization is the process that allows the speaker to convert electrical signals into sound waves.

5. Can voice coil polarization be adjusted?

Yes, voice coil polarization can be adjusted by changing the strength of the permanent magnet, the number of turns in the voice coil, or the amount of current flowing through the voice coil. These adjustments can affect the sound quality and volume of the speaker.