Voltage controlled resistor circuit Help

In summary: Any help would be appreciated.In summary, the thermistor is being used to measure voltage in a circuit that has a microcontroller. The microcontroller and the thermistor should not share a common ground. The temperature sensor can be used to measure peak or average values, but not the true RMS value.
exclr8
I have a unit that measures temp with a thermistor. I want to use it to measure voltage.
I am trying to build a circuit to emulate a thermistor. Here are the parameters.

24v control = 37.8K.
1v control change = -1k so there is an inverse relation ship.
Control voltage range = ideal is 6 to 42 volts but can be as tight as 12 to 28 volts.
The 3.5 volts is applied to the thermistor buy the unit.
The unit and control voltage cannot and should not share a common ground.

I have a basic knowledge of electronic but need some help getting started. I was thinking of using some sort of VCR or solid state pot.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
exclr8 said:
I have a unit that measures temp with a thermistor. I want to use it to measure voltage.
I am trying to build a circuit to emulate a thermistor. Here are the parameters.

24v control = 37.8K.
Control voltage range = ideal is 6 to 42 volts but can be as tight as 12 to 28 volts.

I have a basic knowledge of electronic but need some help getting started. I was thinking of using some sort of VCR or solid state pot.

After reading that 3 times, I still have no idea what you're doing.

Since you are measuring temperature, would it be safe to assume you're using some kind of microcontroller? Do you have a schematic? A set of instructions you're following?

You'll get much more help if you give people enough information to help you.

exclr8 said:

24v control = 37.8K.

Can you use a digital potentiometer as the basis for it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_potentiometer

http://images.google.com/images?rlz...esult_group&ct=title&resnum=5&ved=0CDUQsAQwBA

http://www.analog.com/en/digital-to-analog-converters/digital-potentiometers/products/index.html

I can't imagine why you would want to emulate a thermistor?
Any circuit to do so would be vastly more complicated and expensive than just using a thermistor.

In saying you want to use your thermistor to measure voltage, do you mean you want to measure the TRUE RMS value of voltage using the heating of the thermistor?

This is a viable proposition.

Or is the use for stabilising the output voltage of an oscillator?

Using the thermistor to measure peak or average values is less so as the response curve is decidedly non-linear.

The unit has a microcontroller. It will measure temp for more than one area. I want to use one of the temp inputs to measure the voltage of a 24v DC battery backup system. I want 24.0 degrees on the unit to equal 24.0 volts in the backup system. Since the thermistor has a value of 37.8K at 24degrees I need the circuit to have the same value of 37.8K when the input voltage is 24V.

1. What is a voltage controlled resistor circuit?

A voltage controlled resistor circuit is a type of electronic circuit that allows the resistance of a resistor to be controlled by an external voltage signal. This means that the resistance of the resistor can be varied by changing the voltage input.

2. How does a voltage controlled resistor circuit work?

A voltage controlled resistor circuit typically consists of a resistor and a voltage-controlled device, such as a field-effect transistor (FET) or a varactor diode. The voltage-controlled device acts as a variable resistor, and the resistance can be controlled by varying the voltage applied to it.

3. What are the advantages of using a voltage controlled resistor circuit?

One advantage of using a voltage controlled resistor circuit is that it allows for precise and rapid control of the resistance. This can be useful in applications such as audio amplifiers, where the resistance needs to be adjusted to control the volume. Additionally, voltage controlled resistor circuits are often more compact and efficient than traditional resistor circuits.

4. What are some common applications of voltage controlled resistor circuits?

Voltage controlled resistor circuits have a wide range of applications in electronic devices, including audio amplifiers, filters, and voltage regulators. They are also commonly used in sensors, such as light sensors, where the resistance needs to be adjusted based on the amount of light detected.

5. How do I design a voltage controlled resistor circuit?

The design of a voltage controlled resistor circuit will depend on the specific application and the desired resistance range. However, some general steps for designing a voltage controlled resistor circuit include selecting the appropriate voltage-controlled device, determining the desired resistance range, and calculating the necessary circuit components, such as resistors and capacitors.