What are the formulas for calculating current and voltage in a divider circuit?

• Thread starter sevag00
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of ig, i0, i1, i2, and Vx using current and voltage divider methods. The individuals involved initially make a mistake in their calculation of Vx, but eventually correct it by realizing that the potential drop cannot be larger than the supply voltage. It is suggested to use a voltage divider on both 100 ohm resistors and to simply multiply i3 by 90Ω to get the correct value for Vx.
sevag00

Homework Statement

Calculate ig, i0, i1, i2, Vx using current and voltage divider.

Capture.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

http://s13.postimg.org/77gjkkmgn/001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You were doing fine until you got to the calculation of Vx. There's no way a potential drop in the the circuit can be larger than the supply voltage...

Yes you're right. I didn't pay attention to that.
V should be 1.25V(voltage divider on both 100 ohm resistors) and Vx = 1.125V (voltage divider between the 90 and 20//20 ohm resistors)

sevag00 said:
Yes you're right. I didn't pay attention to that.
V should be 1.25V(voltage divider on both 100 ohm resistors) and Vx = 1.125V (voltage divider between the 90 and 20//20 ohm resistors)

Muuuch better :smile:

You could also have just multiplied your i3 by 90Ω.

Yay!

Related to What are the formulas for calculating current and voltage in a divider circuit?

1. What is a voltage/current divider?

A voltage/current divider is a circuit that divides an input voltage or current into smaller parts and outputs them. It is used to control the voltage or current levels in a circuit and is typically made up of resistors.

2. How does a voltage/current divider work?

A voltage/current divider works by using Ohm's Law, which states that the current through a conductor between two points is directly proportional to the voltage across the two points. By placing resistors in series or parallel, the voltage or current can be divided and controlled accordingly.

3. What is the equation for a voltage/current divider?

The equation for a voltage/current divider is Vout = (R2/(R1+R2)) x Vin, where Vout is the output voltage, R1 and R2 are the resistances of the two resistors, and Vin is the input voltage. This equation applies to a series voltage divider, while a parallel current divider follows the equation Iout = (R1/(R1+R2)) x Iin, where Iout is the output current and Iin is the input current.

4. What are the applications of a voltage/current divider?

A voltage/current divider has many applications in electronics and electrical engineering. It is commonly used in voltage regulators, power supplies, and sensor circuits to control voltage or current levels. It is also used in audio circuits, where it is used to adjust signal levels and in electronic filters to attenuate or amplify signals.

5. What are the advantages of using a voltage/current divider?

There are several advantages of using a voltage/current divider in circuits. It allows for precise control of voltage or current levels, making it useful in various applications. It is also relatively simple and inexpensive to implement, requiring only a few resistors. Additionally, it can be easily adjusted or modified to suit different circuit requirements.