Find Potential Difference between X & Y in Circuits with Parallel & Series Arr.

• Thread starter Lim Y K
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Voltage
In summary, the potential difference between two points in a parallel circuit is the same as the potential difference across each individual branch. This can be calculated by finding the voltage drop across each branch and adding them together. In a series circuit, the potential difference is calculated using Ohm's Law (V = IR) and decreases as you move through the circuit due to energy being used by each component. The potential difference can also be negative in a circuit, typically seen in circuits with diodes or transistors. In comparison, the potential difference in a parallel circuit is constant while it decreases in a series circuit.
Lim Y K

Homework Statement

In a circuit consisting of both parallel and series arrangement, how do you find the potential difference of X(in red) and Y(in blue)? and how did you derive at those answers?

Homework Equations

idk

The Attempt at a Solution

total resistance=4 ohms +(1/r eff=1/2ohms+1/4ohms)
=4ohms+4/3ohms
=5 1/3 ohms
current=16 divide by 5 1/3ohms
=3 ampere
potential diff for X ------V=RI
=(1/2)(3)
=1.5
potential diff for Y-------V=RI
=(1/4)(3)
= 3/4

I WAS TOLD THOSE IN RED ARE WRONG. BUT WHY? I DIDN'T SEE ANY MISTAKE IN CALCULATION.
can someone help me please? please explain to me what went wrong thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-07-16 at 8.51.10 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2015-07-16 at 8.51.10 pm.png
    2.2 KB · Views: 373
Physics news on Phys.org
If 3 Amps is flowing through the battery, how much is flowing through each resistor in the circuit? Then what does V=RI tell you for each resistor?

If you know the potential drop across the "other" resistor, then what does that tell you about the potential drop across the combination of X and Y? What total do you have to make?

DEvens said:
If 3 Amps is flowing through the battery, how much is flowing through each resistor in the circuit? Then what does V=RI tell you for each resistor?

If you know the potential drop across the "other" resistor, then what does that tell you about the potential drop across the combination of X and Y? What total do you have to make?

according to i1=i2=i3, 3 amps flowing through batt means 3 amps flowing through the resistors. I=v/R means 3=v/ 1/2 for resistor x and 3= v/ 1/4 for resistor y

potential drop in other resistor= R/I
=4/3
i know of the V1=V2=V3 rule but why is 4/3 volts= potential diff of both X and Y?

Electric current behaves much like water flowing in a river.
That means that part of the 3 A flows through X and the other part through Y,
but not necessarily the same amount through each. Less will go through Y and
more through X, but their sum will be 3A. Since V = IR I do not understand why
you are inverting the resistance?

Lim Y K said:
according to i1=i2=i3, 3 amps flowing through batt means 3 amps flowing through the resistors. I=v/R means 3=v/ 1/2 for resistor x and 3= v/ 1/4 for resistor y

potential drop in other resistor= R/I
=4/3
i know of the V1=V2=V3 rule but why is 4/3 volts= potential diff of both X and Y?
I'm not sure where you are getting those current and voltage relationships. Purely resistive circuits can have currents and voltages that equal each other, yes, but only under certain element configurations. You should review the conditions under which such relationships are valid. Now, on to your problem:

You need to find total current. You were on the right track with using Ohm's Law and the equivalent resistance of the circuit, but you should not be inverting the resistances.

You can then use current division to solve for the current in the resistors.

Here is the general form for current division:

Ix = Ry*ITotal / (Rx + Ry), where ITotal is the current you've already found, and Ix is the current through resistor x.

After you have found the current through each resistor, you can use Ohm's Law to find the voltage drop across each.

Last edited:
A parallel combination of resistors, R1, R2, R3... can be replaced by a single resistor RP
where RP should be

1/RP = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 ...

this means that a resistor R1 in a parallel circuit can be replaced by a resistor RP where

1/RP = 1/R1

so that RP= R1 and not

RP = 1/R1

andrevdh said:
A parallel combination of resistors, R1, R2, R3... can be replaced by a single resistor RP
where RP should be

1/RP = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 ...

this means that a resistor R1 in a parallel circuit can be replaced by a resistor RP where

1/RP = 1/R1

so that RP= R1 and not

RP = 1/R1
In this case, since there are only two resistors in parallel, one can use the following relationship:

REquiv = Rx*Ry / (Rx + Ry)

But yes, when one wants to combine more than two parallel resistances, the methods you've described is required.

1. How do I calculate the potential difference between two points in a parallel circuit?

In a parallel circuit, the potential difference between two points is the same as the potential difference across each individual branch. This means that you can calculate the potential difference by finding the voltage drop across each branch and then adding them together.

2. What is the formula for calculating the potential difference in a series circuit?

The formula for calculating potential difference in a series circuit is V = IR, where V is the potential difference (in volts), I is the current (in amperes), and R is the resistance (in ohms). This formula is known as Ohm's Law.

3. How does the potential difference change in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the potential difference is divided among the different components, meaning that the potential difference decreases as you move through the circuit. This is because the energy is being used up by each component, causing a voltage drop.

4. Can the potential difference be negative in a circuit?

Yes, the potential difference can be negative in a circuit. This can occur when the direction of current flow is opposite to the direction of the voltage drop, resulting in a negative value for potential difference. This is often seen in circuits with diodes or transistors.

5. How does the potential difference in a parallel circuit compare to a series circuit?

In a parallel circuit, the potential difference is the same across each branch, whereas in a series circuit, the potential difference is divided among the different components. This means that the potential difference in a parallel circuit is constant, while in a series circuit it decreases as you move through the circuit.