Voltage regulator for cooling fan

In summary, a fan is not necessary for the LM317 power supply, but a 12V fan can be used if you have a CPU heat sink.
jbord39
Hey all,

I am working on a 0-40V variable power supply right now, and while the power supply is working I am wondering if it is in danger of overheating. I am using a LM317 with a 0-5k potentiometer between adjust and ground, and a 165ohm resistor between output and adjust. Input is regulated from the wall to 40V.

My question is, that since the voltage across the LM317 varies from about 1.25-38.75 inversely with the output voltage, is a fan necessary (I am using a heatsink) to prevent overheating? I know it features internal overheat protection but I would rather avoid having to trust it.

My next question is, if a fan is required, would a 12V fan I pulled from an old computer work?
Which of these two circuits would waste the least power?

Circuit 1: Input voltage of 40V, with zeners in series up to 28V. Cooling fan in series takes the other 12V.

Circuit 2: LM7812 +12V regulator. Seems like the best idea, but the input voltage is +40V and so it seems like it might waste a lot of power.

Thanks, and sorry for long post.

Johnedit:
Possibly a combination of both circuits? Two 12V zeners between the +40V and the LM7812 input could lower the voltage difference on the 7812.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes
I use a couple of 12V pc fans to cool both a laser and the LM317 attached to a CPU heat sink. I drilled a hole in it and mounted the laser and then attached the LM317 metal tab to it with a self tapping screw. The two 12V fans were mounted either end so the air is blown through the heat sink. Works very well. If you can get hold of a CPU heat-sink then you will have a stable platform to mount the fans on to. Good luck. Opps nearly forgot, remember the circuit depends on the current you will be drawing, first sounds more straight forward.

1. What is a voltage regulator for cooling fan?

A voltage regulator for cooling fan is an electronic device used to control the voltage supplied to a cooling fan. It ensures that the fan receives the correct amount of voltage to operate efficiently and maintain the desired temperature.

2. How does a voltage regulator for cooling fan work?

A voltage regulator for cooling fan works by adjusting the voltage supplied to the fan based on the temperature readings. When the temperature rises, the voltage regulator increases the voltage to the fan, and when the temperature decreases, it reduces the voltage to the fan.

3. What are the benefits of using a voltage regulator for cooling fan?

Using a voltage regulator for cooling fan can provide several benefits, including energy efficiency, reduced noise levels, and prolonged lifespan of the fan. It also helps to maintain a stable temperature, preventing overheating and potential damage to the fan.

4. How do I choose the right voltage regulator for my cooling fan?

To choose the right voltage regulator for your cooling fan, you need to consider the fan's voltage and current requirements, the temperature range you want to maintain, and the type of control (manual or automatic) you prefer. It is also essential to check the compatibility of the voltage regulator with your specific fan model.

5. Can a voltage regulator be used for other electronic devices besides cooling fans?

Yes, a voltage regulator can be used for other electronic devices that require a stable and controlled voltage supply, such as computers, televisions, and audio systems. However, it is essential to choose a voltage regulator with the appropriate voltage and current capabilities for the specific device.