Voltage transfer functuon of network

In summary, the conversation discusses a mathematical problem and potential solution involving resistor and capacitor terms. The original poster shares a link to their work and asks for feedback on any errors. Another user points out a mistake in converting the first resistor and capacitor to impedance, suggesting to adjust both the Thevenin impedance and voltage. Another user suggests using nodal equations instead of replacing the R-C section with a series-Z.
jmher0403
I don't have access to computer right now so here's the link to my working

http://tinypic.com/r/2nhowoo/5
According to the answer I shouldn't have (s/RC) term on the numerator, otherwise all good.

Can anyone please point out where i have gone wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are going to post your image sideways to make it hard to read? I'm not going to bother.

[STRIKE]Your math looks okay to me. The s/RC term should be there.[/STRIKE]

EDIT: I take that back! When you converted the first resistor and capacitor to impedance Z, you didn't also adjust V1 accordingly. Essentially you are taking the Thevenin equivalent of v1 and the first R/C section. You need to find both the Thevenin impedance Z and the Thevenin voltage that replaces V1.

Last edited:
A strange approach, trying to replace the first R-C section with a series-Z.

Why not just write nodal equations?

Thank you for providing your work and asking for feedback on it. After reviewing your voltage transfer function, it appears that you have made a small error in your calculations. The (s/RC) term in the numerator should actually be (1/RC). This is because when calculating the voltage transfer function, we are looking at the ratio of the output voltage to the input voltage, so the s term should be removed from the numerator. This small correction should fix your voltage transfer function and make it accurate. Keep up the good work!

What is a voltage transfer function?

A voltage transfer function is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the input voltage and output voltage of a network. It describes how the network alters the input voltage to produce the output voltage.

How is the voltage transfer function calculated?

The voltage transfer function is calculated by taking the ratio of the output voltage to the input voltage. It is typically represented as a frequency response, showing how the network responds to different frequencies of the input voltage.

What is the significance of the voltage transfer function?

The voltage transfer function is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of a network. It can help us design and analyze circuits, and determine the stability and performance of a system.

What factors affect the voltage transfer function?

The voltage transfer function can be affected by factors such as the components used in the network, the frequency of the input voltage, and the topology of the network. Any changes to these factors can alter the voltage transfer function.

How can the voltage transfer function be used in practical applications?

The voltage transfer function can be used in practical applications to design filters, amplifiers, and other electronic circuits. It can also be used in control systems to analyze and improve the performance of a system.