Volume by Slicing: A cylindrical wedge, help needed please

In summary, the problem is to find the volume of a curved wedge that is cut from a cylinder of radius 3m by two planes. One plane is perpendicular to the axis of the cylinder, while the other plane crosses the first plane at a 45 degree angle at the center of the cylinder. The suggested approach is to let the line of intersection of the two planes be the y-axis and then find the area of the rectangle described by the cross section of the slice as a function of x. The length of the vertical sides of the rectangle is given by the function y=x/2. The horizontal sides would be some function involving sin, starting and ending at 0 and having a maximum of 2r in the middle of the cylinder
RolloJarvis

Homework Statement

Find the volume of curved wedge that is cut from a cylinder of radius 3m by two planes. One plane perpendicular to the axis of the cylinder, the other plane crosses the first plane at a 45 degree angle at the centre of the cylinder.

(Hint: let the line of intersection of the two planes be the y-axis and then the cross section of the slice is a rectangle whose area you need to find as a function of x)

Homework Equations

V = [tex]\int^{b}_{a}A(x) dx[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I need to find the area of the rectangle described above as a function of x so i can integrate it to find the volume.

The length of the vertical sides of the rectangle will given by the function y=x/2, and i presume the horizontal sides would be some function involving sin, seeing as is starts at 0, ends at 0, and has a maximum or 2r in the middle of the cylinder... but i can't figure it out. this is the bit I am stuck on.

Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
It's always a good idea to draw a picture. Maybe this will help

wedgesection.jpg

It isn't clear from your post whether you also want the back half, which would double the answer.

LCKurtz said:
It's always a good idea to draw a picture. Maybe this will help

wedgesection.jpg

It isn't clear from your post whether you also want the back half, which would double the answer.

of course! that makes a lot more sense with the picture, out of curiosity, what program did you use to draw the diagram? I do a lot of lab reports and a good drawing package would be very useful.

I will post a new attempt at an answer when i get the chance.

in regards to the back half also, I am unsure as all the information i have been given is written above. i guess i will just write each half = ... explicitly on the answer sheet.

RolloJarvis said:
of course! that makes a lot more sense with the picture, out of curiosity, what program did you use to draw the diagram? I do a lot of lab reports and a good drawing package would be very useful.

It's called Mayura Draw:

http://www.mayura.com/

1. What is "volume by slicing"?

"Volume by slicing" refers to a method of finding the volume of a three-dimensional object by slicing it into infinitely thin, two-dimensional slices and then summing the volumes of these slices. This method is often used for irregularly shaped objects, such as a cylindrical wedge.

2. How do you calculate the volume of a cylindrical wedge using volume by slicing?

To calculate the volume of a cylindrical wedge using volume by slicing, you first slice the wedge into infinitely thin, circular disks. Then, you use the formula for the volume of a cylinder to find the volume of each disk and add them together to get the total volume of the wedge.

3. What information do you need to know to use volume by slicing for a cylindrical wedge?

To use volume by slicing for a cylindrical wedge, you need to know the height of the wedge, the radius of the circular base, and the angle of the wedge. This information is required to calculate the volume of each individual disk.

4. Can volume by slicing be used for any shape?

Yes, volume by slicing can be used for any shape as long as it can be sliced into infinitely thin, two-dimensional slices. However, the calculation method may vary depending on the shape of the object.

5. Are there any limitations to using volume by slicing for finding the volume of a cylindrical wedge?

One potential limitation of using volume by slicing for a cylindrical wedge is that it assumes the wedge has a uniform cross-sectional area. If the wedge is irregularly shaped, the volume calculated using this method may not be completely accurate. Additionally, this method can be more time-consuming and complex compared to other volume calculation methods.